• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Suggestions when seeing a new dentist

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have an appointment with a new dentist next Wednesday. Along with the routine stuff, I'm having what I think is my TMJ rearing it's ugly head again, so I need to figure that out.

I've always had weird problems with my teeth, they will throb for no reason, hurt out of the blue. I know this is just part of the wonderfulness that is my ME.

We all go through this every time we see a new doctor. Having to explain things. I wonder if bringing a criteria is worth it?

I'd almost rather not bring it up if I don't have to.

SDSue

Southeast
I don't put the dentist in the need-to-know category.

I've learned the hard way to claim migraine as an excuse for my odd behavior. People seem to give a wide berth for migraines, as they've had either personal or secondary experience. (You know, after migraines were no longer considered a psychosomatic female issue lol).

PS: I too, have weird tooth issues - in particular one tooth that "flares" and becomes acutely painful, even tho it's had a root canal. It lasts for several days, I can't eat on that side, etc. Then it just goes away. I've had it x-rayed twice and they never find anything, so now I just ignore it.

Isn't ME fun?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@SDSue Good idea about the migraine. And I have a sinus infection now so that'll work to. Now I just have to remember!

A few years ago I had what this feels like, a dull ache in the tooth that can go to my chin and the hinge on my jaw. Then the dull ache turned into constant horrible sharp pain which eventually went away. I thought I was going to go insane from that. X-rays showed nothing and my PCP suggested TMJ when the dentist didn't.

I chewed on an apple before (oops) and that actually seemed to help. Who knows.

Yes ME is the gift that keeps on giving!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@SDSue What about this? I haven't been able to get to the dentist for 2 years and I'm sure it's going to show on my teeth.

I'm sure I'm going to get a lecture. Any ideas for that? A 2 year migraine? Coma?

SDSue

Southeast
@minkeygirl Play dumb? I'm in the same boat, so I just keep changing dentists and I can't seem to remember how long it's been lol.

So sad that we don't feel safe just telling the truth. I've come to realize that few people go every 6 months. It's not that unusual to go 2 years.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@SDSue Playing dumb isn't hard but I can't process so I get flustered.

I HATE changing dentists. The reason I left my old guy is because he stopped accepting my insurance. No one want to deal with Hmo's but without them we'd be sunk.

I'm more afraid about this pain. It's getting worse, I can feel it in my cheek. Wth? I have codeine but man it constipates me.

Thanks for the help. I haven't been able to think straight lately.

daisybell

@SDSue What about this? I haven't been able to get to the dentist for 2 years and I'm sure it's going to show on my teeth.

I'm sure I'm going to get a lecture. Any ideas for that? A 2 year migraine? Coma?

I was supposed to go over 2 years ago for a filling replacement!! I find that no matter how much anaesthetic is injected, I can still feel it, so I am now truly phobic...

When eventually I can summon the strength to go, I have no idea what I will say.... I think i will just state that the fear of the pain has kept me away.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Wow that has to be horrible. I don't blame you. If I didn't have this pain I probably wouldn't be going. It's just too exhausting.

manna

in trad. chin. med. they cite one cause of tmj as an imbalance in the stomach meridian, which incidentally passes through the jaw area, as does the small intestine as well. certainly it could be dental, as well, or instead of.

st_meridian_5-8.gif

i get a slight click in my left jaw when opening my mouth. maybe diet though meds can be a problem for the stomach too as can some supplements.

Last edited:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
It's hugely better today so I think it was a combination of the heat which was stressing me and a sinus infection I can't get rid of.

I always have problems with my teeth throbbing so I'm gonna add this to the list of ME oddities.

Allyson

I don't put the dentist in the need-to-know category.

I've learned the hard way to claim migraine as an excuse for my odd behavior. People seem to give a wide berth for migraines, as they've had either personal or secondary experience. (You know, after migraines were no longer considered a psychosomatic female issue lol).

PS: I too, have weird tooth issues - in particular one tooth that "flares" and becomes acutely painful, even tho it's had a root canal. It lasts for several days, I can't eat on that side, etc. Then it just goes away. I've had it x-rayed twice and they never find anything, so now I just ignore it.

Isn't ME fun?

If you have migraines, ME and dental issues you may want to rule out EDS - SDSue ; as it causes all those symptoms and more

see fuller symptom list here

http://forum.notcrazy.net/index.php?topic=9571.0

good luck,
Ally

Daffodil

I explain that I have an immune deficiency. I use the term 'myalgic encephalomyelitis" which sounds serious, complex, and is likely something they haven't heard of, so most of the time they don't ask too many questions. I also tell them its autoimmune.

Allyson

I explain that I have an immune deficiency. I use the term 'myalgic encephalomyelitis" which sounds serious, complex, and is likely something they haven't heard of, so most of the time they don't ask too many questions. I also tell them its autoimmune.

For the record EDS causes a lot of dental issues like poor crumbly teeth and periodontitis and TMJ - and EDSers also need more local anaesthetic for dental procedures

Ally

taniaaust1

If one has ME I personally dont advise trying to hide this from ones dentist as the ME can be doing things to the mouth.

My dentist has seen what ME has done to my mouth..eg my teeth enemal got damaged to the point where he said I may have to wear protective cap at night on my teeth due to the sports drinks I used to drink due to coexisting POTS. My dentist says my mouth is very abnormally dry.. a new one I saw went "have you a serious health issue?" Your mouth is unusual and indicating you have a health issue going on, what's wrong with you?. My mouth so so dry that it was sticking to his instruments!!

Your dentist may need to know that you have ME when it comes to dental anethestics. ME people often react quite poorly to the ones containing adrenaline. Its a very good idea to take it to a dentist with you before having anything done, that article about ME/CFS and anethestics.. so the dentist can make sure he leaves out the adrenaline if he gets you certain dental injections eg lidocaine.

I had a lidocaine injection at dentist as at the time I hadnt seen that article on which anethestics to avoid so didnt know to avoid adrenaline in them... my reaction to it was so severe that I almost had a seizure in the chair, started going spastic in my hands and had my legs were jerking. We almost called an ambulance. I couldnt walk for over an hour and then had extreme after effects from the injection for days (major pain at injection site which actually hurt far worst then where my wisdom tooth had come out).

Some herbs some ME/CFS people take can complicate matters at the dentist (eg some can cause more bleeding) .. so once again its best to be open to the dentist.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@SDSue

"PMing" here is sending a conversation. You can click on the person's avatar and a box will pop up. One of the choices is "Start a conversation."

Best,
Sushi

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Here's an update of my appointment. After I got X-rays taken the doctor comes in.

He starts chatting me up, like we're long lost buddies and all that is going through my head is "Shut the F up and lets going going". As it turns out it was a good thing I didn't because the conversation took a turn so I told him I had ME/CFS, which led how to I survive, how do I get money? That ended up being a good thing as it turns out.

When we discussed the pain I had been having, which I said I'm sure is my TMJ, what he wanted to do was so extreme I said no and that kind of set me on edge for the rest of the appointment.

What I need immediately is scaling and a 3/4 overlay for a cracked tooth which will cost about $850 and that is with him giving me huge discounts (better than what my insurance will pay) and not even charging me for some other stuff. Having paid for unnecessary dental procedures in the past, how do I know this is true?

I want a 2nd opinion because I trust no one. Getting a 2nd opinion will require me calling my insurance, finding a new guy, going there, getting X-rays transferred. I just don't know if I have the energy for that.

And I remember when I was looking for a dentist in my plan when I found this guy, he was about the only one in my area that had decent reviews. One other guy wanted to do scalings to the tune of $500. WTH?

And let me say, I have neglected my teeth the last few years. When I can hardly get out of bed, brushing my teeth is the last thing on my mind. So it's possible I need this. But Cha-Ching!

daisybell

I have just got back from a very long overdue dentist appointment... No crash yet, but I felt very hypersensitive while there. the combination of the pain, the noise and the prodding around in my mouth made me very shaky and on the verge of tears. I apparently need three fillings, and one of my teeth has a crack...

Any advice for coping with dental appointments?

Do you think your ME impacts on your teeth?

I grind my teeth in my sleep, and have damaged them by doing that. I also get weird aches in teeth from time to time which then disappear again.

I know I have to deal with this, but..... The dentist looked at me like I was nuts when I said I hadn't been because I couldn't face it. She doesn't know what ME is, and I don't think trying to explain is going to be a help.