• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sublingual D-ribose?

Ninan

Anyone tried taking D-ribose sublingually? Seems it feeds my gut candida so I need to find another way or stop taking it (and get way worse). I tried taking 2,5 grams with water in my mouth for ten minutes. Fifteen minutes after I got irregular heart beats and head ache (I never get head aches). Suspect that means I absorbed it and took too much/kept it too long. But I wonder about dosage and timing. Guess I will have to take it more often since it probably disappears quicker when it goes right into the blood stream than when released through the colon. Any experiences on this?

PeterPositive

Yeah, ribose is a killer for people with gut dysbiosis.
I don't get upset by most sugars, in moderate quantities, and I don't have candida but a tiny bit of d-ribose can cause an earthquake down there :rolleyes:

It's likely that you can absorb it via the mouth mucosa, but you probably need a lower dose if it causes so many side effects. My (pretty obvious) suggestion would be to simply cut the dose in 1/2 or 1/4 and see if it works without backfiring.

cheers

Last edited:

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Guess I will have to take it more often since it probably disappears quicker when it goes right into the blood stream than when released through the colon. Any experiences on this?
I take only 1/2 gram at a time orally. Someone here said that Dr. Myhill told her more frequent smaller doses are better. (I'm not suggesting that you take it orally, just that smaller is better.)

Ninan

I take only 1/2 gram at a time orally. Someone here said that Dr. Myhill told her more frequent smaller doses are better. (I'm not suggesting that you take it orally, just that smaller is better.)
How much do you take every day?

About Myhill: I'm not sure how well she understands D-ribose. She doesn't seem to know that that real effect for most people comes only after taking 10-15 grams/day (when swallowing it). There is a small and temporary rise in energy on lower doses but that's not even close the effect Teitelbaum found.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I take it four times/day because I get hypoglycemia if I take it on an empty stomach. IIFC, Dr. recommended six times/day. I don't really feel more energetic, but I can do more without getting post exertional exhaustion (more stamina). 10-15 grams/day would be expensive!

hvac14400

fatty & acid : )
Anyone tried taking D-ribose sublingually? Seems it feeds my gut candida so I need to find another way or stop taking it (and get way worse).

Yeah, ribose is a killer for people with gut dysbiosis.
I don't get upset by most sugars, in moderate quantities, and I don't have candida but a tiny bit of d-ribose can cause an earthquake down there :rolleyes:

so, would it be safe to say, that one have no candida & no dysbiosis if one can eat 3g of d-ribose 4 times a day after meals or before them (on an empty stomach) with no probs whatsoever?
tho at the same time one can't consume more than 1 banana or 1 glass of milk without being gassy.

Mick

Anyone tried taking D-ribose sublingually? Seems it feeds my gut candida so I need to find another way or stop taking it (and get way worse). I tried taking 2,5 grams with water in my mouth for ten minutes. Fifteen minutes after I got irregular heart beats and head ache (I never get head aches). Suspect that means I absorbed it and took too much/kept it too long. But I wonder about dosage and timing. Guess I will have to take it more often since it probably disappears quicker when it goes right into the blood stream than when released through the colon. Any experiences on this?
Any updates? I've had the very same problem for so long... but now it's got much worse - I need to take ribose but at the same time the inflammation and pain it causes... it's stabbing pain in all tendons (because ribose messes up with stomach and bacteria or candida (who knows, maybe it's candida, good point), stomach problems cause tendon pain).

Other approach would be to kill candida once and for all. But the problem here is that I can't take many of the supplements that are recommended - like garlic. I am allergic to garlic - it's allergy or whatever mechanism it can be...