• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

strong muscle jerks after activity. Anyone else?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi, i have been experiencing increasing muscle jerking. In the past i have had twitching, shaking, vibrating and restless leg syndrome, most of which have been helped/cured by magnesium supplements.
But now i am having really strong jerks in my arms, legs, shoulder and the middle of my body but only when i stop doing an activity. For example after ive cooked dinner i have to go lay on the couch to recover and then it will start. The sensation is like restless leg a bit in that i can feel it buiding up and then wham out goes the leg or arm etc. I have it on both sides of my body and it is getting worse. Often ots only in the evening but now hasmoved to earlier in the day too.
I hope not too much info but ive started to get it really bad after sex ( yes i know im a lucky girl i can still manage it occasionaly) Yesterday i just lay there with my arms and lefs flailing around after for about 20 mins and it wasnt romantic i can tell you. Its really getting me down and im finding it quite distressing.
I have had mito testing done that shows abnormalities and i wondered if it could be related to mitochondrial dysfunction. Any ideas?

I have had some muscle jerks, not a lot, but some. All those weird twitching or jerking-type-things always seem to happen more when I have over-done it. So yes, I think that it could have a lot to do with mitochondrial dysfunction. You use up what little energy stores you have, and then all hell breaks loose!
I know it is frustrating, but maybe you need to rest more. Easier said than done, I know, with the crazy hectic pace of life these days.
take care, ness