• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Strong Mental Reaction to B Vitamins. What would that be?

Gondwanaland

@detharlwy methylation support is not about genetic mutations or genetic diseases. It is much more about environmental factors making you methylate poorly. You will have to read a lot of threads on the forums to figure out your own puzzle.

@detharlwy

From looking at the Genetic Genie Data, I find it strange that you do not have any COMT mutations yet cannot tolerate any methyl B12. You Also have several MTRR mutations which indicate that you would seem to need quite a bit of B12 supplementation.

I seem to react the same way to B12 or folate supplementation. Like you, my worst symptoms are mental. Depression, anxiety and other mental symptoms. I do also have some neurological and physical problems.

I know I really need the B12 but I'm really frightened of taking it again. But I know I have to. I think I really just need to stick with it and push through startup symptoms.

I have a feeling that the methylated vitamins have "side effects" like antidepressants when first starting them. Much like those who start antidepressants and get worse before getting better, I think some of us will get worse before getting better when starting the methylated vitamins.

I'm going to try starting the b vitamins again and hopefully have the guts and the patience to stick it out and put this theory to the test.

Hi detharlwy,

I just had the same reaction and was wondering if you figured out why. It caused me severe mood swings, including depression and hypomania. I am on Carbamazepine for bipolar and it broke through the barrier. I know I have MTHFR heterozygous C677T and I suspect COMT++, but have not been tested for it yet. Thanks for any info.

Hi Kala. No. I did not found why. I am just carefully continuing to use active B's. I can not do without them, lots of problems, but after some minimal dosage, you know, hypomania. So, I am using carefully. It's pro's are completely much more than con's.

stridor

@detharlwy @Kala Have you guys ever tracked your temps as per Dr Rind?
http://www.drrind.com/therapies/metabolic-temperature-graph

In 2001, I was in rough shape. I was rapid-cycling right through my medications. I was not in control and would be hospitalized. This was not the first time that I had had symptoms break-through my meds.
But 2007 was the last time that I allowed this to happen. I undertook to find the biochemical drivers for my condition. I went off my meds and started natural approaches.

It was a pretty rough road but no more hospitalizations.

In my case, I sense that I would not have recovered to this point without endocrine supports. As I said a number of posts ago, while I can not be certain, as I made a few simultaneous changes, the complete override of my thyroid seemed to be the turning point in terms of mood dysregulation. My TSH with treatment is around 0.01.

Rather than use TSH as a guide, I use T3 - and peg it at the very, very top of normal levels....currently a speck above and I am watching it.

In 2011/12, my temperatures were low generally and would drop another degree or nearly two when I triggered a fatigue event. (I know that you do not have CFS detharlwy but the fact of the matter is that I have no idea how long my temps were low before I started to pay attention to them).

My lowest recorded temperature was 92F - I was confused with that one. But generally they ran around 95F.
They came up to 96F with chelation of mercury but it would take B12 to return them to normal. At the same time, the diabetes insipidus cleared. IOW, I had a lot of autonomic involvement.

The bottom line on all of this is that I am not sure whether mood control can be optimized if the endocrine system is running amok. As I have said before, I seem to be on my own path but it is an easy thing for others to check out. Just take some temps for a couple of weeks.

Hi Stridor. I had low body temperature last year. Much more than yours (33 c degrees) , in Fahrenheit terms I believe this is lower that your fahrenheit minimum degree. However my thyroid levels in lab tests are always normal. TSH, T3, T4.

After understanding the temperature irregularity, I even purchased this product:

http://www.ithermometer.info/

You can checkout there many different sellers:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=bluetooth+baby+temperature&_sacat=0

That measures the temperature every few seconds or so entire day, and uploads to Android enabled tablet, phone whole day temperature changes. If you are still measuring for any reason, I would suggest that one. Althoug, I was unable to measure, may be my temperature was lower than the minimum limit of the device (33 c)

My low body temperature was very significant until a few months ago. But I would check one more time again, regularly.

Hi Stridor, interesting. I did notice at one point my temperature fluctuates a lot. I just happened to notice it on my own, but never talked to anyone about it. I am so confused, I don't even know where to start... I also need to be careful what I do because I am in the middle of a very stressful project at work and cannot have mood swings like that again. I was diagnosed with bipolar I 13 years ago.

The Carbamazepine works to keep it in check except I still have issues with anxiety and get easily stressed and overwhelmed and reactive. That's what led me to research vitamins to help. I would never expected I could have had a reaction like that to a b complex. I started rapid cycling again. Going from crying hysterically and having an extreme panic attack like I've never had before in the morning to a very happy hypomanic mood in the evening. Does anyone have any advice on where to even start?

I've been reading about the 23 and me test. I've also read about doing an amino acids plasma test. That interests me a lot. The only traditional medicines that have helped either inhibit glutamate or increase gaba it seems. I did see an endocrinologist at one point about my thyroid, but he said I was in the normal range. Any advice on where to start and what steps I could take to figure out what is really going on with me would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just took my temp out of curiosity. It's 98.1 which is low, but not too bad. I seem to remember when I was taking it on a regular basis, it sometimes getting down to 97. something.

stridor

@Kala Have you ever checked out Truehope.com? I had a very good response to this but eventually got worse. I think that it was the copper. I was Hg-tox at the time and wasn't supposed to have that....had I known at the time. But it is a great product. We can talk more if you think that this is up your alley.

@detharlwy That is scary low temps you had. Taking the thyroid meds did not bring my temps back into the normal range. What happened was that my temps were low, all I could think of was thyroid and I had a TSH of around 3.5 and some antibodies. My Dr refused me the supports I wanted and so I started taking some of my wife's old scripts and the moods sorted out. So, I found a Dr who would order it for me.

The temperatures only came up with chelation. The hypothalamus is one of the areas that Hg concentrates in. Most people with Hg-tox have dysautonomia. Mine was temperatures and diabetes insipidus. Up 4-5 times a night. Pee 12 times between supper and bedtime...that sort of thing. Resolved within 3 days of starting B12.

Love the gizmo BTW.

@Kala

What b vitamins and what dosages did you take and for how long?

I had a very similar experience as you when taking 1600mcg methylfolate and 2000mcg methyl b12 for 3 days.

On the 3rd day, felt very anxious in the morning, somewhat depressed in the afternoon and very hyper, almost euphoric feeling in the evening.

Read through some of my older posts and get a bit of an idea of my attempts at methylation.

I think I ended up "methyl trapped" and am just going to try methyl b12 first before the methylfolate.