• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stroke or stroke-like symptoms at onset of illness?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Just a quick update whilst I am lucid enough (which is not very).

I have now stopped the 5-HTP completely since a recent hospital admission during which I suffered goodness-know-what, and am still suffering it. I don't think they provided ANYTHING for about 4 days. I was seriously non-compos-mentis. Not like me at all.

Have also stopped the biotin, which I decided to take about 650 mcg of every few days (3 doses), and the nebivolol. Have seen the (inferior in my view - other was on holiday) GP and am planning to try a different beta-blocker in 2-3 weeks.

PS if there is anywhere else I should copy this please let me know.

JaimeS

@MeSci - I am SO glad you're home. For the purposes of clarifying things for other people here (since I will NEVER take serotonin-related ANYTHING)

1) were you slowly weaning yourself off of your 5-HTP as you described in previous posts when this happened?

2) Do you attribute your symptoms to getting off of 5-HTP?

3) What were your symptoms (if you don't mind sharing)?

That is so miserable. I hope you are back to 'your normal' soon!

-J

MeSci

That's funny - I thought I had started my reply! I'm getting a lot of these bizarre reactions. I hope they continue to decrease...

Yes - I have been slowly weaning myself off, as described earlier (won't risk going back again to avoid losing this!), but then after I started about 650 mg biotin 2.3.16 (3 doses, one on 2.3.16, one on 4.3.16 and one on 8.3.16), on 6th March I became mentally weird, forgetting things, and eventually ended up in hospital for 6 days from 12.3.16.

Will post this in case I go weird again...

Amaya2014

@GypsyGirl I too had a stroke like episode early on and ended up in a ER stroke trauma room. My right side gave out and although I could think the commands for right leg and arm to move there was no response. I eventually regained function, very slowed movements after several hours, and was discharged home. I never crashed so severely again but that episode scared me badly enough to stop pushing myself.

MeSci

That's funny - I thought I had started my reply! I'm getting a lot of these bizarre reactions. I hope they continue to decrease...

Yes - I have been slowly weaning myself off, as described earlier (won't risk going back again to avoid losing this!), but then after I started about 650 mg biotin 2.3.16 (3 doses, one on 2.3.16, one on 4.3.16 and one on 8.3.16), on 6th March I became mentally weird, forgetting things, and eventually ended up in hospital for 6 days from 12.3.16.

Will post this in case I go weird again...
Just want to correct something - I think it was 650 mcg, not mg.