• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Strep throat...anyone else?

I had strep throat last year. After a few days of terrible sore throat I bit the bullet and went to the GP where they diagnosed strep. Antibiotics worked reasonably quickly and I was fine.

A few days ago the throat pain started again and yesterday I went straight to the GP before the symptoms got to far. Strep again. The nurse said my glands were the size of golf balls (compliment?! Why thank you for noticing!). However, I also appear to have caught my husbands head cold. I had to check as I wasn't sure you could have both!

This had been coming on for a few days before the strep and now not only does it feel like I'm swallowing glass but my nose is blocked and (without meaning to be too graphic) I may drown in phlegm if I lie down! I have a slight temperature but feel very warm to the touch. Behind my eyes feels hot and mildly sore. I've also got an extra helping of the sore muscle, drained battery feeling. I got sleep in 3-4 hour blocks as I couldn't swallow properly.

I had glandular fever and walking pneumonia at the same time when I was 7 (I'm sensing a theme here!) and I'm pretty sure this feels worse! :depressed:

My question to you guys is, do you think strep is common in CFS sufferers? Any tips on dealing with it?
I'm on penicillin and have been taking ibuprofen and am considering throwing in some paracetamol in the hope it will help.

I can safely say I'm feeling so miserable I could have a little cry. :aghhh:
I'm having horrible visions of getting this every year!

Cohen2

I had Strep for months the first time I had a major relapse of ME, It was worst for about two weeks though. I can empathise with you, it can be a pretty nasty infection. I had over 39 degree celcius, was very nauseas, jaundiced face as well as all the other symptoms and my CRP was over 50. I think Ive had it a few times since but I dont bother seeing the doctor.

Yeah definitly go for paracetemol. I use Lemsip, not sure if you have that where you are, its a sachet with paracetemol and phenylephrine hydrochloride. You make it into a hot drink that tastes like lemon. It works a treat.

Thanks both. :)
@Cohen2 That sounds awful! We do have Lemsip so I might swap a dose of paracetamol for that.

I've been alternating paracetamol and ibuprofen which is making things manageable. Although I'm having to keep a record of what I've taken and when as I lost track!

I've been using an antibacterial mouthwash to gargle with a few times a day which I think has really helped.

I think I might have talked too much yesterday as it's very sore today. I was up at 5.30am with worst dry throat, felt like sandpaper. When I got up I had a few blots of blood in my spit before I brushed my teeth.

I took to the internet (I know!) and I think it's probably a tiny burst blood vessel from blowing my nose so much and it's gone down the back of my throat.

I have a Dr appointment in a few days so I will mention it then just in case that's not normal.

Just feel very tired now so hopefully I'll start getting some proper sleep in the next few days!