• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stopping exercise for 10 days can decrease brain blood flow

ljimbo423

I personally feel better when I go for a short walk at least 1-2 times a week. Although 10 years ago when I was 80-90% bed ridden, that was not possible. I have tried many, many times, to do other things around the house like cleaning, organizing and other things, to use that energy that I put into walking, but I don't get the benefits I need.

When I don't go for a short walk for a week or more, I start to feel more fatigue, more brain fog, more anxious, and my flu-like symptoms get much worse. So I have been on both sides of this, being so sick that exercise wasn't a useful option and now, where I feel worse when I don't.

From my own personal experience (M.E for 26 years) is that I never experienced cognitive function problems for the first 7 years of illness- I didn't do any sort of exercise during this time.

It was when I improved and started to exercise is when the cognitive problems started.

I have ME and exercise absolutely makes my cognitive problems worse.