Volunteer opportunity: Organizing Phoenix Rising articles
This section contains all the articles that have been published by Phoenix Rising over the years. As you will see if you browse here, some of the articles are outdated--either the research has been superseded or retracted or the article features an event or campaign that is now in...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Stool Test Results - CSA and GI-MAP

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by nutritionfan, Aug 18, 2018.

1. nutritionfan

nutritionfan

I've been struggling with fatigue and digestion issues for year. By digestion issues I mean bloating, smelly farts/stool, undigested food in stool, sugar cravings etc. Probiotics help a ton, but even still sometimes it seems like they don't "stick" and my symptoms return.

I had the Doctor's Data Comprehensive Stool Analysis with Parasitology x3 Test completed a year and a half ago. I didn't have any dysbiotic flora but it showed I had no Bifido growth. I didn't have any dysbiotic yeast either, just a +1 for the "normal" Geotrichum spp yeast. However, it showed that I had "Moderate" levels rather than the expected "None - Rare" indicating a yeast overgrowth.

For the parasitology section, it showed I had Blastocystic hominis, and Endolimax nana cysts and trophs.

For digestive markers, everything was in range except Elastase was 66 (ref range > 200) and Secretory IgA was 43.1 (ref range 51 - 204). My doctor told me these results indicated it was important for me to take digestive enzymes and HCL with meals.

Based on these results I took Nystatin for 3 months for the yeast overgrowth and was also taking anti-parasitic herbs. I did notice great improvement in my symptoms, no longer having sugar cravings, undigested food, bloating etc.

However since then things have seemed to get worse again. Things aren't as bad as they were then, but I still do have some similar symptoms and feel like my gut is just not normal. So I decided to take the GI - MAP test which is supposed to be more accurate for parasites/bugs. Here were my out of range results:

H. pylori - High

Normal bacteria
    Bacteroides fragilis - Low
    Enterococcus spp - Low
    Bacteroidetes - Low
    Firmicutes - Low

Opportunistic/Overgrowth Bacteria
    Pseudomonas spp/aeruginosa - High
    Prevotella copri - High

Parasites
    Blastocystis hominis - High

Intestinal Health
    Secretory IgA 95 (ref range 510-2010)

I don't have any standard symptoms of H. pylori (like ulcers) but perhaps this is what is causing my continued issues? Same with B. hominis, it looks like that parasite is still in my system. Finally, my secretory IgA was low both times (and extremely low this last time). Any suggestions on how to improve that?

Appreciate any suggestions on what to do with these results!

Shoshana and ljimbo423 like this.
  2. vaer

vaer

firstly it will be better if you can post your actual results (clear images/screenshots/cropping the personal data if you wish).

In the mean time i can start with some suggestion to increase sIga. From clinical literature Saccharomyces Boulardii , Bacillus Clausii (brand: Enterogermina) have been shown to stimulate sIgA.

3. nutritionfan

nutritionfan

I've used S. boulardii before with good results. Will have to check out Bacillus Clausii next! Thanks for the tip.

I've attached my stool results, thanks for any additional help you can provide.

Attached Files:

4. nutritionfan

nutritionfan

Anyone have any additional suggestions based on my results or have dealt with H. pylori/B. hominis/the other parasites I tested positive for?

I started taking mastic gum, monolaurin, and manuka honey for the H. pylori. Not sure what to do for the other stuff. Also read conflicting things about whether you can naturally treat H. pylori.

5. vaer

vaer

Can you tell me further the protocol/herbs used previously and the time frame of testing - was it done during using herbs?

6. nutritionfan

nutritionfan

I wasn't using any herbs when I took the test, just probiotics (broad spectrum + s. boulardii) and digestive enzymes/Betaine HCL. In the past I had used anti-microbials like GI Microb-X, Biocidin, Berberine etc which seem to help my symptoms.

Since receiving the lab results, I've started using GI Microb-X/Biocidin again with Biofilm Defense, as well as the H. pylori supplements I mentioned (Manuka, Monolaurin, Mastic gum) while upping my probiotics, and incorporating a new one by Usana that is supposed to be good for gut infections/low SigA.

I'm also planning on adding in Broccomax by Jarrow, and per your recommendation I recently started taking a probiotic called Perfect Pass that has B. clausii in addition to B. coagulans and B. subtilis

ljimbo423 likes this.
  7. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    Blastocystis hominis is a nasty bug and can be quite persistent. My daughter w a pretty miserable with it before our naturopath prescribed metronidazole which finally got rid of it after natural treatments weren't enough. This article discusses drugs used for it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3745668/

8. nutritionfan

nutritionfan

Very interesting. Most of the articles I've read say Metronidazole has been the default drug to treat it but that it's not actually effective and can make things worse. http://www.badbugs.org talks a lot about that. Glad to hear it worked for your daughter, though!

I too have read that natural treatments don't really work, though I have read of a few cases where they did eradicate it with herbs. I'm hoping I can get rid of it naturally but I'm not holding my breath. I'm just really apprehensive about trying an antibiotic because of what it can do to the gut, especially if it's not 100% at solving the problem.

I'm also wondering if an anti-protozoan like Alinia would work? I've read of some cases where it did but it doesn't seem to be the standard treatment.

I wouldn't say my symptoms are unbearable, but they do fluctuate in severity. I do get bloated and just feel like my stomach is sluggish after a meal. I often have undigested food as well as feel constipated (I can pass stool daily but I often don't feel that I'm fully evacuating my bowels).. I think the most challenging symptom I struggle with is a feeling of never being full/craving more food or sweets. I find that when I'm on the herbs/probiotics I get satisfied from less food and don't have the urge to keep eating.

I wonder if the parasites are directly causing my symptoms or perhaps they are leading to poor digestion which then makes my body not get nutrients so it constantly thinks it needs more food? Especially since H. pylori lowers stomach acid, and even with enzymes/HCL I don't feel that I'm fully digesting.

The low sIgA is also concerning to me. I've read that stress can cause that, but lately I haven't been as stressed and I'm inclined to believe that its the H. pylori and B. hominis that my immune system can't keep up with anymore.

See more popular forum discussions.