• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stomach acid test with bicarb - epic fail

maddietod

I figured out a month ago that I have silent reflux - no heartburn, but tons of throat-clearing and a sore throat. My doctor confirmed it. Because of the low acid/high acid issue, I've been testing diets to see which helps. Some things, like chocolate, citrus, and caffeine are out of bounds on both diets, because they relax the sphincter.

What I've found is that although I never burped at all when I did the baking soda test years ago, the diet to reduce stomach acid is helping. That's low fat, more carbs than I was eating (I ate low-carb), small meals, certain food restrictions. and I'm drinking herbal teas with meals.

I got some immediate relief from raising the head of my bed 4-6". I plan to keep sleeping that way until I'm symptom-free - I figure the acid can do a lot of damage to my throat overnight.