• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stock cubes and instant gravy - no hydrolised stuff

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Just found stock cubes and instant gravy by googling Anthony Worrall Thomson.
I have major food intolerances so no yeast or hydrolised stuff (MSG) and ingredients look okay - obviously I won't know until I try them but have
been looking for ages for some decent stock. I will find the link if anyone wants it and can't find it.

Mij

I have been using Celifibr cubes for years. They are gluten free and have a wonderful flavour.

I can't find out what IS in them. Just what isn't.

Antony Worrall Thompson’s - Yeast Free Organic Stock Cubes - Free Range Chicken 66g

INGREDIENTS: Salt, Black Pepper, Corn Starch*, Non-Hydrogenated Palm Fat*, Chicken Fat* 7%, Onions*, Sugar*, Celery*, Chicken Meat Powder* 2%, Spices*, Natural Flavouring. *Organically grown

Antony Worrall Thompson’s - Yeast Free Organic Stock Cubes - Vegetable 66g

INGREDIENTS: Rock Salt, Starch* (Potato* and Corn*), Non-Hydrogenated Palm Fat*, Mixed Vegetables* 11% (Onions*, Celery*, Leeks*, Carrots*) Sugar*, Lovage*, Parsley*, Nutmeg*, Turmeric*, Garlic*, Pepper*. *Organically grown

Mij

I'm a pretty picky eater and I got my whole family on the Celifibr cubes and they are a hit. I have to say that the negative review does not reflect my experience, they are very easy to break apart and for my own personal taste not too salty either.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I didn't want any yeast....but other than that they look good. I agree the bad review was about ease of use - and the majority of people love MSG - they call it flavour!!!!!!

brenda

I have found it easy enough to get a good gravy with chopped onions sauteed in butter with a spoonful of flour (gluten free) than flavoured with tamari soy sauce and meat juices if available. Fresh vegetable or meat stock can be frozen in ice cube trays if needed.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@brenda
thanks for the tip - for me I don't do soy or any sauce really, there's always something in it I don't want. There is sugar in the AWT one but its wayyyy down on the list so going to try them.

brenda

Mary

Tamari is gluten free and has nothing in but fermented soya beans and you only use a drop for flavour but if you have meatjuices you don't need it. It is a life saver for me.

peggy-sue

Thanks for the research, SickOfSickness!
I think I'll give them a miss - the main ingredient is salt, then only 7% chicken fat and 2% meat product.:rolleyes:

The celifibr stuff looks vastly superior as far as the ingredients go.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Thanks for the research, SickOfSickness!
I think I'll give them a miss - the main ingredient is salt, then only 7% chicken fat and 2% meat product.:rolleyes:

The celifibr stuff looks vastly superior as far as the ingredients go.

I agree but I'm staying off yeast - someone asked what the natural flavouring was in the AWT ones and there was nothing nasty....or so the reply stated... we'll see.

Valentijn

I've done pretty good using water + a bunch of spices instead of stock for something that is very slow cooking. Basically milder herbal/veggie ones, like celery leaf, basil, marjoram, etc. Works quite well.