• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

stem cell treatments for lyme, M.S., parkinsons, etc.

lizw118

Hello,
A doctor in the suburbs of Chicago is now doing stem cell injections from autologous fat. Apparently most of the patients that come for treatment have neurological issues, like M.S., parkinsons, and now some chronic lyme patients as well. I am curious if anyone knows how successful this treatment might be. Apparently this doctor http://www.chicagostemcellsinstitute.com follows a protocol that is also followed by other doctors using the same kind of treatment, so that a standard practice can be established without the FDA approval and oversight, which the treatment does not yet have. Insurance companies don't cover this, and it's expensive, but I am very interested to know if anyone has tried it. The doctor's assistant I spoke with mentioned that they use Mannose in the I.V. with the stem cells to help it go into the brain more readily.
Any thoughts?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hello,
A doctor in the suburbs of Chicago is now doing stem cell injections from autologous fat. Apparently most of the patients that come for treatment have neurological issues, like M.S., parkinsons, and now some chronic lyme patients as well. I am curious if anyone knows how successful this treatment might be. Apparently this doctor http://www.chicagostemcellsinstitute.com follows a protocol that is also followed by other doctors using the same kind of treatment, so that a standard practice can be established without the FDA approval and oversight, which the treatment does not yet have. Insurance companies don't cover this, and it's expensive, but I am very interested to know if anyone has tried it. The doctor's assistant I spoke with mentioned that they use Mannose in the I.V. with the stem cells to help it go into the brain more readily.
Any thoughts?

There are a bunch of threads from the time when Dr. Cheney was doing this. From what I remember, many patients had initial improvement but lost it after a year or so. You can find the earlier posts with Google site search under Resources.

Sushi

lizw118

Thanks Sushi,
Yeah, the woman I spoke with implied that it was the type of thing that would need to be repeated. She said that maybe the future of these treatments might include frozen stem cells for repeated use. I wish it wasn't so expensive.

Aerose91

Thank you for this link. There's also a hospital that does a lot of stem cell work in Panama. They are affiliated with Johns Hopkins though so a lot of American doctors go down there to treat patients. I'd be very interested in this treatment as well.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Are they using stem cells from the patient? If so, I wonder how they know that they aren't re-introducing the same illness related defects......

lizw118

SpecialK82, yes they use the patient's own stem cells. I have no idea how they would know that they are NOT reintroducing the same infection back to the patient. I have no idea how they clean the blood or separate out the stem cells. I guess it would be ideal for them to re-test the blood? Or maybe it doesn't matter if the blood has the infection in it if it's the same stuff going through the patient's veins anyway. Good question. Anyway, given the recent discovery
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/05/science/young-blood-may-hold-key-to-reversing-aging.html?_r=0
about the protein in young blood that seems activate stem cells, ideally additional stuff will be needed to make this treatment effective unless the patient is really young, right?