• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stem cell therapy done in New York

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Check out this article about stem cell therapy being done right here in the US. Stem cells are taken out of the patient's fat and then are put back into the body within 4 hours. It sounds like the same method that Cheney uses doesn't it? If so, I thought it was illegal in the US?

There will be a seminar on Thursday April 28th presenting the scientific data, would anybody be able to go and ask some tough questions? I feel skeptical that this works well for CFS and has not been more highly publicized, but I would love to be wrong.

Here's the entire article:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=ht...z4W1Rg&usg=AFQjCNGFXcdGnAIPZqRjfOcHXQpTTSoang

Stem Cell Therapy Using the Patient's Own Fat to Treat Chronic Pain and Disease
Holistic Medical Center Offers Leading-Edge Treatment at a Fraction of Time and Cost

New York, NY (Vocus/PRWEB) April 19, 2011

Patients Medical, a leading integrative medical center in NYC, is offering adult stem cell therapy for selected patients for a variety of chronic debilitating diseases including osteoarthritis, certain types of chronic fatigue and other degenerative and auto-immune diseases. This new treatment method enables the patient to use stem cells harvested from their own fat in a procedure that will have the patient going about their daily business in just a few hours, enjoying the positive effects on their health for weeks or even months to come as the cells take effect.

Up until recently, harvesting stem cells meant an invasive surgical procedure that collected cells from bone with general anesthesia. It was painful, expensive and time-consuming. This is something completely different, explains Dr. Kamau Kokayi, senior staff physician at Patients Medical and head of the Stem Cell Therapy team. Now we can collect the stem cells from adipose (fat) cells that are taken out via a tiny incision with liposuction. We use local anesthesia and are able to get the stem cells back in the patient's body within 3-4 hours.

Dr. Kokayi specializes in helping patients with chronic diseases related to inflammation including those with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), osteoarthritis (OA), rheumatoid arthritis (RA), congestive heart failure, type 2 diabetes, early stages of Alzheimer's disease, neuro and auto-immune diseases.

Even those who are just feeling a little tired lately and could use a boost or those who have nagging knee, hip or back pain can benefit from this stem cell therapy. The cells find their way to the areas of the body that need it most and go to work healing and rejuvenating. Each treatment can keep working for months.

Patients Medical's team of physicians provides their patients and the general public with the most recent information and research about disease prevention and wellness. The next complimentary seminar, Use Your Own Fat to Rejuvenate Health and Vitality, will be held on Thursday, April 28th at 6:30pm Eastern. Dr. Kokayi will present scientific data behind stem cell therapy and will explain the cell harvesting procedure, as well as answering questions from attendees

jenbooks

He's a nice guy (Kokayi). This is being done elsewhere, too. Steenblock in California has been doing it for years.

xchocoholic

http://www.patientsmedical.com/healthaz/chronicfatigue/default.aspx

He has an interesting write up on CFS ... It looks like he looks for the "normal stuff" that we've all tested fine for, thyroid and adrenal problems.

The bit about CBT, GET and some of us having psychological problems where we bring on our own symptoms was discouraging ..

Psychological problems, such as depression and other mood disorders, also seem to coincide in patients with CFS, though the link is unclear. There may also be neurological patterns that contribute to the symptoms of CFS.

In one model of the illness, for example, it is thought that the patients interpretation of the symptoms helps to perpetuate the symptoms.

If the patient has overly intense emotional reactions to their symptoms, the physiological response that accompanies the emotional response may intensify the symptoms, initiating a cycle of chronic pain.

I noticed that he said this treatment was only good for a few months too ... I'm not up on stem cell treatments yet but I thought they lasted longer .. I'm assuming that there are different types of stem cells which would account for the cost and expendiency of this one ? ... x

ETA ... info on stem cells ...

http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/basics/defaultpage.asp

Rrrr

i think cheney found that stem cells from fat are not that effective for cfs, and if you have xmrv then the stem cells harvested from your own body fat will contain the xmrv, and thus you'll be getting infected stem cells, which defeats the purpose of getting stem cells.

the latest theory re: stem cells was that if you don't first address the retrovirus (xmrv) then stem cells will just help temporarily, and in the end yr xmrv will reinfect the new stem cells.

there is a thread where we discussed all this at great length on this forum. not sure where it is now. maybe search for "stem cells"?

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Rrrrr - do you know if cheney is doing stem cells a different way than harvesting from patient fat or is he just not doing it any more at all? I do remember hearing that the XMRV would infect new cells, I will look for the other thread, thanks.

xchochoholic - yep, it doesn't sound all good, he also uses chronic fatigue and CFS interchangeably.

Rrrr

Rrrrr - do you know if cheney is doing stem cells a different way than harvesting from patient fat or is he just not doing it any more at all? I do remember hearing that the XMRV would infect new cells, I will look for the other thread, thanks.

xchochoholic - yep, it doesn't sound all good, he also uses chronic fatigue and CFS interchangeably.

cheney found that umbilical cord stem cells were best. or was it placenta stem cells? but unless you were under age 36-40, the good results did not last, i think. you got somewhat better and then regressed some what (but not to yr original state; you retained some of your betterment). that actually sounded good to me. worth a try. but it was pricey. it was via a stem cell clinic in panama.

it was concluded by cheney and i think others (mikovits) that you need to get down the viral load first. and then stem cells could be a good option.

so a few of us are trying to do just that with GcMAF. i think if GcMAF can get down the viral load of xmrv, then stem cells would be a great next step. and i think cheney thinks this too, but i'm not certain on that.

search for "GcMAF" to find the very very long thread on that topic. patients are experiencing good results.

jeffrez

Cheney doesn't use stem cells harvested from fat anymore, afaik.

Most of the 'good results' from stem cell therapy in CFS are overstated and/or outright fraudulent, imho. A lot of this was gone over in the stem cell thread of probably a year or so ago by now. Beware also of a "molly" and some of her backers who appear to be shills for the people profiting from giving the therapy, none of whom seem to post here anymore - just basically evaporated after interest in getting the 'treatments' waned.

Not saying it can't possibly help some people in some cases - please note that I merely said many of the reports of results appear to be overstated ("works like a miracle" becomes "felt better for a few months, then it wore off," etc.)

richvank

Hi, all.

Dr. David Steenblock has had good results from using stem cell therapy for a variety of disorders, mainly neurological ones, but he has not used it for ME/CFS. He has been doing stem cell therapy for several years, and has written a book about it. He has used various types, but not embryonic. He has found certain combinations of stem cell types to be beneficial. He emphasizes that it's important to clear infections before doing stem cell therapy. He does a lot of preparation up front before doing the stem cell therapy. For example, in treating neurological conditions, he uses certain substances to open up the blood-brain barrier temporarily so that the stem cells can enter the brain.

Best regards.

Rich

EtherSpin

oh wow. this is disheartening, I heard there are people in Australia getting the fat extraction and injection of stem cells (anecdotally giving significant improvement) - so the consensus in 2011 when the post was active was that the cells drawn from the fat would themselves be compromised by CFS ?

*GG*

Hi, all.

Dr. David Steenblock has had good results from using stem cell therapy for a variety of disorders, mainly neurological ones, but he has not used it for ME/CFS. He has been doing stem cell therapy for several years, and has written a book about it. He has used various types, but not embryonic. He has found certain combinations of stem cell types to be beneficial. He emphasizes that it's important to clear infections before doing stem cell therapy. He does a lot of preparation up front before doing the stem cell therapy. For example, in treating neurological conditions, he uses certain substances to open up the blood-brain barrier temporarily so that the stem cells can enter the brain.

Best regards.

Rich

R.I.P. Rich, you were loved by MANY!

GG

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
oh wow. this is disheartening, I heard there are people in Australia getting the fat extraction and injection of stem cells (anecdotally giving significant improvement) - so the consensus in 2011 when the post was active was that the cells drawn from the fat would themselves be compromised by CFS ?

For whatever reason, it seemed that for most patients the improvement didn't last.

Sushi

EtherSpin

damn! well perhaps the latest breakthrough (don't have a link but its been on the news all over) with non viable cloned embryos (almost a human embryo cloned from the patient but not viable to develop) can produce very healthy stem cells - the application the scientists gave as an example was mitochondrial disorders - we may be in luck - I do wonder if there will be a time we go in for a dialysis type treatment periodically to clean and then infuse our blood with what we need