• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Starting Raltegravir

omerbasket

jimbob, these are very good news to hear.
I hope you'll keep getting better. I guess the there are going to be some "downs" down the long road, but don't be discouraged by them. I hope that you'll have, like until now, much more "highs" than "downs".

Daffodil

jim...are you still doing ok?

i felt better for a while but today was AWFUL again.

i wish i knew what was going on.

:-/

jimbob

ME/CFS84-XMRV+
Yes, I'm still doing O.K. and crossing my fingers and toes that it will continue. Tomorrow is a month since I started. Im sorry you're having a bad day, hope you bounce back quick. good wishes, Jim

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Given my incredible sensitivity to even some supplements I've wondered as well how I could tolerate any major drugs. I wish someone could get a handle on that hypersensitivity issue - it doesn't seem to be get much interest in the research community - but it seems to me to be a key factor.

Good luck with the antiretrovirals. :)

silicon

Given my incredible sensitivity to even some supplements I've wondered as well how I could tolerate any major drugs. I wish someone could get a handle on that hypersensitivity issue - it doesn't seem to be get much interest in the research community - but it seems to me to be a key factor.

Good luck with the antiretrovirals. :)

And then there are those who are hypersensitive to the binders/fillers used in various medications and supplements (at least sometimes it may be possible to have a compounding pharmacy use alternative binders/fillers).

C

Cloud

I have always believed medication sensitivity to be a KEY factor because for me it was there from the very start; In the very beginning of the illness when it was thought I was just becoming depressed, I had severe medication intolerance problems. Also, it's the one and only symptom that has remained constant throughout my 17 years with ME/CFS.

jimbob

ME/CFS84-XMRV+
what's odd is that I couldn't tolerate any high doses of antidepressants over the years, yet for a month now i've been doing 800mg a day of Ral and tolerating it so far. Go figure!

Rrrr

jimbob, are you on any other meds besides the ral?

warmly
rrrr (boston misses you!)

Gemini

what's odd is that I couldn't tolerate any high doses of antidepressants over the years, yet for a month now i've been doing 800mg a day of Ral and tolerating it so far. Go figure!

jimbob,

it could be because--
RAL is not metablolized by P450 enzymes,
antidepressants are.

and chronic infections, immune activation & cytokine exposure
dysregulate P450 enzymes.

ThePharmaLetter, October 22, 2007, excerpt:
Merck also reported data from a series of drug interaction studies, which demonstrated that no adjustment in Isentress dosage was required when co-administered with other antivirals. The firm added that its product is not metabolized by cytochrome P450 enzymes, and therefore has an extended therapeutic half-life.

Gemini

jimbob

ME/CFS84-XMRV+
Rrrr, just crestor 5mg, Zoloft 25mg every other day, .5mgativan and Halcion .50mg for sleep. Not much compared to most. Jim GO REDSOX/PATRIOTS/CELTICS!

C

Cloud

I had hoped Ral was not metabolized via P450 which for me is obviously the route of metabolism that causes my medication intolerance issues. I hadn't yet looked this up......thanks for sharing.