• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Starting LDN - Morning Agitation

picante

Hi, I'm needing input from people who have taken LDN.

I started on 1.5 mg two nights ago, and both mornings I've experienced agitation and been upset. This is drastically different from my usual morning state, which is draggy and groggy.

Have other people experienced this? And does it go away? And would it be worth a try to take it a couple hours earlier in the evening (say, 8:30 instead of 10:30)?

I am drowning in red tape these days and overwhelmed, but that's been true for 3-4 weeks.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Maybe you started with too high a dose? I started much lower .5 and @Sushi started at .25 if I remember right.

It says to take between 9 and 3 am I think. Can't quite remember.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Maybe you started with too high a dose? I started much lower .5 and @Sushi started at .25 if I remember right.
Some people are very sensitive to the dose. I actually started at 1.5 mg and took it at night. I didn't have morning agitation but we all seem to respond differently. I did titrate my dose up very slowly--it took 4 months to reach 4.5 mgs.

picante

Interesting, I was wondering about the dose. My ND started me at the "lowest" dose because of Hashi's, and having to keep a close watch on thyroid meds.

So does it work OK to open a capsule and take half of it? (All the money I could save, haha.)

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
So dose it work OK to open a capsule and take half of it? (All the money I could save, haha.)
Sure! Personally I crush a 50 mg tablet (generic from an ordinary pharmacy), mix it with 50 mls of distilled water and keep in the fridge, measuring out my dose with an oral syringe. This costs about $1.50 per month after insurance pays its share.

Thinktank

@picante, i had the same effect from 1.5mg. An endorphine rush at night followed by insomnia, then agitated in the morning.
I had to lower my dose to .25mg by dissolving a 1.5mg capsule in 30ml water to create a dose of .25mg/5ml.

Thinktank

The endorphin rush to me feels euphoric, mental feel-good like Sushi mentioned.
Have you ever experienced a runners high? (pre-onset of your illness ofcourse!) It kinda feels like that.

ahmo

I started using match-head size doses, increased by that much over several days (from a 3mg capsule) Even this tiny amount affected my sleep and provoked detox response. Thankfully the negative effects passed quickly. good luck w/ this.

picante

Update: I'm still taking just 0.75 mg each night. My morning energy has improved noticeably!

Instead of just dragging myself around barely coping with the basics (food, getting dressed, taking & tracking supplements), I'm managing to get a little bit done most mornings -- whether it's dishes or red tape (which I've been swimming in).

place

Be Strong!
I just poped in here to leave a response in the general LDN post but saw yours. I am having anger managment problems on LDN! I started the first of november and settled on 2ml until I see a reduction in anger.

Last night I woke up and my husband was snoring. I was awake for 3 hours and was so angry that I was considering divorce!!!

I'm not sure if this is related but on steroids I have roidrage. Not sure if my body is shifting to make more chemicals. IDK... I also have massive food cravings. Worse than when pregnant. Other than that I don't have any other side effects.

picante

Last night I woke up and my husband was snoring. I was awake for 3 hours and was so angry that I was considering divorce!!!
Anger + insomnia. That sounds like the LDN. Not that I know anything about dosing, but how many milligrams are in your 2 ml dose?

I'm such a light sleeper and my DH & I both thrash around a bit, so the separate rooms option works well for us. He needs good sleep as much as I do.

picante

I'm having regular morning exhaustion again now, and tried taking a whole cap (1.5 mg) a few nights ago, but it didn't do anything noticeable for me. Guess I will try it again.

I'm having more histamine-type symptoms: balloon-type bloating after many foods, and lots of hot flushes (but not a high temp -- it's usually around 98.2 F / 36.7 C. I say "flushes" because my face turns pink.

Can this be related to LDN or its effect on thyroid?