A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Starting Copaxone

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by MartinDH, Dec 2, 2018.

1. MartinDH

MartinDH Senior Member

I will get my first dose tomorrow. Bit nervous because of the possible side effects.
    I or @MichaelK will keep you up to date about what’s happening... if sth happens...
    big mystery with Copaxone, this story of Rachel and no reaction from Ben on this topic... and there must be a reason why Whitney doesn’t get it... maybe because they fear an allergic reaction and he could not stand that or: it’s all a lie and it didn’t work with the nanoneedle...
    What do you think?

Your
    Jonathan Frakes
    C5E8FBB9-73DE-410A-8C19-FB90286DD7DB.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    jesse's mom, mattie, pibee and 5 others like this.
  2. Silencio

Silencio Senior Member

I would have thought Jonathan Frakes was before your time!

How did you find a doc to give this to you Martin? I just saw your hospital thread.. did you end up going into hospital?

I live in Portugal and I have found a hematologist who wants me to come in to hospital for 5 days for more tests. But she believes this is biological, and never questioned that. Dreading it though, although I am stronger than you and think I can tolerate it.

I am nervous about drugs as everything makes me crash. Let us know how you get on w this one.. best of luck.

3. Moof

Moof Senior Member

UK
    I think people may have held back because there are concerns about irreversible side-effects, and it hasn't yet been proven to have benefits in ME (other than the anecdotal reports). I hope you do have a good experience with it – let us know? I've been wondering how @Ema is getting on, though it might be too early to know yet.

jesse's mom and Lisa108 like this.
  4. keepontruckin

keepontruckin

I think it is a month for Ema around the 6th of December
    I look forward to hearing your feedback, Martin.

jesse's mom, Moof and Lisa108 like this.
  5. MartinDH

MartinDH Senior Member

Ema has stopped it after three weeks because she was getting more fatigued

jesse's mom, Moof, sb4 and 1 other person like this.
  6. MartinDH

MartinDH Senior Member

What makes Copaxone more dangerous than other drugs we experiment with?
    I take it because I’m desperate... would really be helpful to get any news - good or bad - from @Ben H ... sorry to bother you so much man :-( but if it didn’t work with the cells and that’s why Whitney doesn’t get it, I would not risk it myself

jesse's mom, mattie, sb4 and 2 others like this.
  7. Moof

Moof Senior Member

UK
    I wasn't meaning to be critical at all, just wondering aloud about the reasons others might not have tried it. I think perhaps we have a slightly more hesitant attitude in the UK anyway, because we don't have access to any ME drugs other than pain relief, antidepressants, and symptom relief. The policy doesn't always make sense – GPs refuse what they see as 'speculative' treatment, but prescribe antidepressants, gabapentin and pregabalin off-label, even though their use might be entirely speculative! I guess their caution can feed into our mindset a bit, though.

I can also see the rationale for desperate patients, who need to get back enough function to work or just to care for themselves. I've had ME since 1976, so I'm pretty used to it; I've received disability benefits the last three years, too, so I can still eat and pay my bills even though I can no longer work.

I really do hope Copaxone works for you – let us know how you get on.

8. mattie

mattie Senior Member

Good Luck @MartinDH ! Please keep us updated!

9. jaybee00

jaybee00 Senior Member

Good luck.. Copaxone is widely viewed as the safest of all of the MS drugs. If you have an allergic reaction, you can simply stop taking it. Hopefully you will be able to stick with it for a while...I think @Ben H is not responding because Ron Davis is not ready to offer any advice on Copaxone yet.

Moof, jesse's mom and dreampop like this.
  10. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member

I have heard also that it's pretty safe w/ the caveat of a rare but serious allergic reaction. Obviously talk to a doctor first.

Rachel said it ook 3-6 weeks to notice improvement for her, although it's known to take up to 6 months if you google "how long does copaxone take to work?" and check the MS forums. Although if it works, it might work completely differently.

Moof and jesse's mom like this.
  11. jesse's mom

jesse's mom Senior Member

Alabama USA
    Moof and sb4 like this.
  12. Ben H

Ben H OMF Correspondent

U.K.
    Hi Martin,

Just sent you a message.

I have no idea whether Copaxone has been tested, I will try and find out.

But we are in the situation of in vitro vs in Vivo, so what may work on the nanoneedle may not work at all in the human body. This is common as many of you know. I also have no idea if Copaxone has been tested. I know Suramin had and it attenuated the impedance signal.

This is still extremely preliminary, and Prof. Davis is not a physician and will not be able to offer any advice on this.

But I'll try and find out. I understand as much as anyone the desperation. The reason I've been slow to get back on this-and I apologise-is because I am severe myself. Without my phone I'd be unable to communicate online. Just fwiw, it's not me ignoring.

B

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    robson, Art Vandelay, pibee and 6 others like this.
  13. Kenshin

Kenshin Senior Member

Yeah, hope it works for you @MartinDH

Moof and jesse's mom like this.

See more popular forum discussions.