• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

start up - kick in reactions?

I have flu type symptoms - congestion, gi upset, liver ache (big time), groin pain, sneezing, increase in headache, increase in stiffness, back pain

I also have increase in drainage from what I assume is my left parotid gland - I have suspected I had stones in it in the past and neither ENT I saw was helpful.

I was warned of a healing crisis. I assume this is it.

Can taking the B12 and Folate (I am at 3000 mcg H B12, 400 folinic acid and 200 M- folate) cause these?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I have flu type symptoms - congestion, gi upset, liver ache (big time), groin pain, sneezing, increase in headache, increase in stiffness, back pain

I also have increase in drainage from what I assume is my left parotid gland - I have suspected I had stones in it in the past and neither ENT I saw was helpful.

Can taking the B12 and Folate (I am at 3000 mcg H B12, 400 folinic acid and 200 M- folate) cause these?

Those doses could be too high for you--they would be for me. I don't know about your particular symptoms, but methylation supplements can definitely cause difficult symptoms. Are you taking potassium and other supportive supplements that are recommended?

Sushi

Those doses could be too high for you--they would be for me. I don't know about your particular symptoms, but methylation supplements can definitely cause difficult symptoms. Are you taking potassium and other supportive supplements that are recommended?

Sushi

I have worked my way up on them and am wondering if I worked my way up too fast. The liver was bad last night; it has flared the last 3 nights some but least night was worst. The mind is overall clearer.

I take 800 mg K most nights as well as a large banana at noon.

I take probably 900 + Mg and 600 mg Ca and do an epsom salt bath. If I get leg spasms at night I will take more Mg and add Magnesium Oil.

Aileen

I've just started active B's (B2, B6, B12 & folate). It is part of a multi so I'm getting the necessary cofactors. The question is whether I'm getting enough of some of them. I would rather be starting on a smaller dose of B12 (it has 100mcg Adb12 + 100methylb12) and folate (500mcg folinic acid + 500mcg methylfolate). However, I really need the multi and don't want the inactive forms.

I've taken it twice so far, 1 pill per day, every other day. Both times I've gotten a headache (migraines are one of my worst and most common ME symptoms) but have managed to keep it manageable with an Alka Seltzer Gold (sodium, potassium, citric acid - no aspirin) and this time needed a dose of pain med.

I'm wondering what else I should have in the house to take in addition to the potassium as I don't want to have to keep taking pain meds if I can help it.

Phred

Aileen I was getting some horrible headaches when I increased the amount of methylfolate I was taking. I had to back off quite a bit. Crux mentioned this in this thread, look about half way down. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...adoxical-folate-deficiency.19047/#post-318424

I'm not sure I understood correctly (it's still early) but you are taking one pill every other day? Is there any way you could take half a pill daily? That way you're not getting such a big blast of folate at once and it might help to level it out some. I know a lot of people around here chop pills or open capsules and take bits from it.

Lotus97

I was warned of a healing crisis. I assume this is it. Can taking the B12 and Folate (I am at 3000 mcg H B12, 400 folinic acid and 200 M- folate) cause these?
I've also been having flu like symptoms recently. I'm not sure if it's entirely from methylation in my own case, but I'm considering the possibility that it's at least contributing to my symptoms. Methylation can start the body's detoxification process which can be a good thing, but it can also be a burden on the body as toxins are being released. This from Rich:
Different people seem to respond differently to methylation. I think it is involved with mobilization and excretion of toxins. As the methylation cycle function improves, it corrects the dysfunction of the rest of the sulfur metabolism. The detoxication system depends to a great extent on sulfur-containing substances, so as it improves, it mobilizes more of the stored toxins into the blood. The job of extracting them from the blood and excreting them can take some time, as the kidneys move them out in the urine, and the liver and intestines work together to excrete them in the stools.

Some people have benefited by taking activated charcoal to bind toxins in the gut and prevent them from being reabsorbed. If this causes constipation, Milk of Magnesia can be slurried with the charcoal. So long as the kidney function is normal and the person is drinking enough fluids. the kidneys can excrete the excess magnesium.

To help the kidneys to excrete soluble toxins that are in the form of weak acids, it can help to take some lemon juice. Somewhat paradoxically, this will cause the urine to become more alkaline, and that will help to avoid reabsorption and increase excretion of these types of toxins, because they will be ionized to a greater degree. It's important to use a drinking straw and to flush the teeth with water afterward, because citric acid will chelate calcium and can damage the enamel on the teeth over time.
(I should mention that charcoal can bind to just about anything so you should try to avoid taking supplements, minerals, prescription meds, etc. around the same time. This is why I've been kind of wary about trying charcoal myself)

I'm having the same set of symptoms now...esp the liver ache...did you ever figure out what was causing it?
Thanks much!

Critterina

So, the liver ache is part of this? That was my first symptom, after only a month on 1 mg MTHF and 5 mg MB12. I had my gall bladder out without ever having an attack - just the feeling that there was something in there that shouldn't be. This feels the same, only about 2 inches to the right. Ultrasound was normal, so I'm in the loop for a gastroenterology appointment.

What to do about it?