• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Staph infections??

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
In cfs/me bacterial infections most mentioned are mycoplasma and chlamydia Pn, Doesnt seem to be alot about chronic staph infections. It seems that staph infections are very common in chronic sinusitis and chronic sinusitis is very common amongst us cfs/me patients.

HOw many of us have been diagnosed with a staph infection??

I have tested neg to mycoplasma and chlamydia Pn but seem to respond ok to antibiotics(abx) although this doesnt seem to cure my sinus problems as when i stop abx it returns but do get very good results from them. I have also noticed my chronic red eyes improve as well as a rash i get on my back. I think i have nailed my viral issues with famvir but i think due to poor immune function, this bacterial infection maybe whats holding me back, another dam chronic opportunistic infection??

How have others treated this? which antibiotics and for how long was the course? Like i have mentioned, doxy is helping alot, maybe i just need to stay on it much longer. I dont feel my sinus issues are a drainage problem as drainage seems to improve when on doxy but???

cheers!!!

Nielk

Hi heapseal,

I too suffer from chronic sinus problems. This past winter, I had 4 full blown acute infections. Two of those were found to be staph infections. The first time, they gave me Bactrum, the second time, Cipro. I got very ill on Cipro. Couldn't tolerate it. They also gave me steroid sprays and each time a steroid pack for seven days. The steroid seemed to make everything better for a few days but, then I had to taper off already and had awful withdrawal effects of mood alterations. That seems to be my life story that almost every drug I take, whether it's good for me or not, when I taper off it, I have exaggerated withdrawal effects.

Getting back to you. You say that abx helps you but when you go off the sinus problem returns. Have you seen an ENT doctor? Have you had a CT scan of your sinuses done? I just had a CT scan a month ago. I didn't have an acute infection at the time, just my usual sinus pain from backed up mucus which can't drain.
The results showed partial blockage of my two maxillary sinuses. He said to just continue with the steroid spray every day and to wash out my sinuses every day.
The truth is that it's starting to feel very sore in there and I'm afraid that it might be due to abuse of these steroid sprays.

It sound like with you as long as you stay on doxy, you are okay but, is this hing that you can take long term? I have no experience with this.

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help to you. Like CFS, I find this chronic sinus problem very confusing. Just wanted to let you know that I get it. It's terribly frustrating.

SaraM

I have tested negative to mycoplasma and Cpn,too, and CFS started after I got sinus infection for the first time. I have to use a hair dryer after I wash my hair, otherwise I will have to face with a severe headache. Doxy is the best when I use it. Recently tried Amoxy with no positive results. Shoemaker has a prtotocl for sinus staph infection using Reifampicin and other stuff. Buhner suggests Cryptodepis for resistant staph infection. Tried Cat's claw for inflammation per his recommendation, but it caused thyroid pain in me. Scan test showed a sinus cyst. Balloon sinuoplasty can be used in case surgery is needed, but I do not know if it can help to get rid of the infection forever. My WBC, CD4, and CD8 are normal. This is all very confusing.

heapsreal

Hi heapseal,

I too suffer from chronic sinus problems. This past winter, I had 4 full blown acute infections. Two of those were found to be staph infections. The first time, they gave me Bactrum, the second time, Cipro. I got very ill on Cipro. Couldn't tolerate it. They also gave me steroid sprays and each time a steroid pack for seven days. The steroid seemed to make everything better for a few days but, then I had to taper off already and had awful withdrawal effects of mood alterations. That seems to be my life story that almost every drug I take, whether it's good for me or not, when I taper off it, I have exaggerated withdrawal effects.

Getting back to you. You say that abx helps you but when you go off the sinus problem returns. Have you seen an ENT doctor? Have you had a CT scan of your sinuses done? I just had a CT scan a month ago. I didn't have an acute infection at the time, just my usual sinus pain from backed up mucus which can't drain.
The results showed partial blockage of my two maxillary sinuses. He said to just continue with the steroid spray every day and to wash out my sinuses every day.
The truth is that it's starting to feel very sore in there and I'm afraid that it might be due to abuse of these steroid sprays.

It sound like with you as long as you stay on doxy, you are okay but, is this hing that you can take long term? I have no experience with this.

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help to you. Like CFS, I find this chronic sinus problem very confusing. Just wanted to let you know that I get it. It's terribly frustrating.

hi nielk, i havent had a ct scan yet, but will ask my doc next week when i see him, i think it will just confirm the diagnoses. I also use a sinus steroid spray, not sure how much it helps and also flush with saline as well, yes its frustrating.

cheers!!!

heapsreal

I have tested negative to mycoplasma and Cpn,too, and CFS started after I got sinus infection for the first time. I have to use a hair dryer after I wash my hair, otherwise I will have to face with a severe headache. Doxy is the best when I use it. Recently tried Amoxy with no positive results. Shoemaker has a prtotocl for sinus staph infection using Reifampicin and other stuff. Buhner suggests Cryptodepis for resistant staph infection. Tried Cat's claw for inflammation per his recommendation, but it caused thyroid pain in me. Scan test showed a sinus cyst. Balloon sinuoplasty can be used in case surgery is needed, but I do not know if it can help to get rid of the infection forever. My WBC, CD4, and CD8 are normal. This is all very confusing.

hi Sara, my lymphocytes have come back almost normal of late which i think is due to famvir. I have many tests where i am neurtropenic, this i think makes us prone to bacterial infections, i also have elevated IgA immunoglobulins which could possibly be related to sinus infections. Just reading that doxy is effective against staph infections and it stops these infections growing, also read doxy at high doses is bacteriocidal where it can actually kill infections, so will talk to my doc about that one too. Surgery maybe an option although i would like to avoid it and also why i said i dont think its a drainage problem, i think more an immune problem, dam immune system??

cheers!!!

SaraM

Hi Heapsreal,

My immunoglobulins are all normal, but I have a deviated septum which can be the root cause for my sinus infection. I think as NeilK said a scan test is necessary.

All the best

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Heaps, i mentioned my chronic sinus problems, nasal ulcers, frequent nose bleeds and styes in my eyes to Dr Myhill the last time i saw her and she felt i might have a chronic Staph infection. She said their had been some research linking chronic staph infections with M.E. If my memory is right she talked about a Swedish doctor who had done some very interesting research with a Staph vaccine helping CFS patients.

She prescribed me Fucicdin ointment to use in the nose and across the eyes. The nose bleeds have gone netirely - less nasal ulcers and fewer styes. We didnt test as it all costs money nd her approach is to keep costs down by just trying the treatment and seeing what happens. Of course some staph infections are antibiotic resistant.

here is an earlier threads on this:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/show...-vaccine-to-treat-CFS&highlight=staph+vaccine

alex3619

Hi Heapsreal, I think there have been several studies on chronic staph infections over the years, not sure how many were published though. We frequently have chronic staph infections. One was a Scandinavian study, maybe Swedish. Another was Australian. I think these were considered underwhelming because nobody took the view that they were causal, only a secondary infection due to our weakened immune status. Antibiotics have been used to treat these but I do not know the success rate. I wish I could remember more, Dr. Deed knows about the Australian research, ask him next time you see him. Bye, Alex

taniaaust1

Ive had issues with Staph infections since Ive had ME.

- I got staph in my leg in two different places (which I had MANY courses of antibiotics for, Ive forgotten which ones but the issue kept on coming back and I had staph in my leg for probably about a year... I think it was finally Doxy which FINALLY fixed that after quite a few other antibiotics had only partly helped it)..

- Im in the 25% of people who carry Staph in the nose. I got rid of that with a two week? course of Doxy .. .along with taking strong doses of olive leaf extract at the same time (olive leaf extract helps kill Staph). The doctor had said that he thought the Staph would be hard to get rid of as Staph commonly comes back and he didnt think one course would get rid of it, so hence I decided to take the olive leaf extract at same time which worked. (tests at later date showed I was successful at getting it out of my nose).

- I got double pneumonia, the hospital thought it was due to having Staph in my lungs and they gave me IV antibiotics for that for a week followed by other antibiotics for a further couple of weeks.

(It was Newcastle University in Australia who did the CFS and nasal staph toxin study which found we often carry staph of the toxin causing variety). I personally think Staph issues are secondary things to the ME.

Fixing the staph issues which we knew about (I wonder if I have more staph inside me in places), hasnt helped my ME at all. I havent had the staph I have had tested to know if its a toxin producing kind or not... they only tested and said it was staph.

hurtingallthetimet

hello ive not had a staph infection as i know of...do have a sore throat constantly along with the all over pains and fatigue...

ive heard staph infections are dangerous...i think we all have lower immune systems it seems...as i said i keep sore throat, swollen lymph nodes and catch cold and flu alot...

hope you are doing well

baccarat

I have been looking at Dr Shoemakers' website recently. Resistant staph seems to be quite widespread.

Stage 6: Antibiotic Resistant Staph Bacteria

Reduced MSH also allows resistant staph (MARCoNS) to survive in biofilm on the mucous membranes. These bacteria further compound MSH deficiency and the problem by producing exotoxins A and B that cleave MSH, further decreasing the MSH levels. At this point, the downward spiral starts to perpetuate itself.

http://www.survivingmold.com/diagnosis/the-biotoxin-pathway

heapsreal

I have been looking at Dr Shoemakers' website recently. Resistant staph seems to be quite widespread.

Stage 6: Antibiotic Resistant Staph Bacteria

Reduced MSH also allows resistant staph (MARCoNS) to survive in biofilm on the mucous membranes. These bacteria further compound MSH deficiency and the problem by producing exotoxins A and B that cleave MSH, further decreasing the MSH levels. At this point, the downward spiral starts to perpetuate itself.

http://www.survivingmold.com/diagnosis/the-biotoxin-pathway

Thanks for the link baccarat.
From what i have read, most people have staph infections especially on the skin eg rashes and small number in the sinuses etc but they seem to spread to other places of the body and grow when we are under stress or in those with immune problems. Sounds alot like ebv in that everyone just about has been exposed to ebv but it only causes problems in immune compromised people. I seem to be doing well on 200mg of doxycycline a day.

cheers!!!