• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Spirilina blocks histamine release

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
As registered dietitian Amy Shapiro explained to me, spirulina has been shown to help with heart health, in that it can reduce your bad cholesterol and triglyceride levels, and also decrease blood pressure and prevent artery clogging. It’s also known to be antimicrobial, so it can help promote the healthy bacteria in the gut that prevents the overgrowth of bad bacteria, she added.

I looked for studies on this. I found this:

http://www.umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/spirulina

Allergic Reactions

Animal and test tube studies suggest that spirulina may protect against allergic reactions by stopping the release of histamines, substances that contribute to allergy symptoms, such as a runny nose, watery eyes, hives, and soft-tissue swelling. But whether these preliminary studies will help people with allergies is not known

It sounds like it may possibly have this effect but that it is not certain.
Will be interested to here from those who give it a try. I use antihistamines daily year round.

pamojja

Will be interested to here from those who give it a try. I use antihistamines daily year round.

Actually tried antihistamines only once. Since they showed not much more effective in alleviating hay-fever symptoms than high dose ascorbic acid for a few hours, I sticked with vitamin C, which doesn't have the side-effects. Always get hay-fever in April/May, last year was raining through all that time and therefore had no symptoms. However this year, despite sunny whether, still no symptoms. I did increase spirulina recently to 5g, but one month ago I run out of it. What I suspect to have that large an effect is rather the cold-pressed black-seed oil I started last year till now at a tablespoon per day.

Old Bones

If only spirulina were an option for my histamine/mast cell issues. Several months ago, I purchased a large bottle of chlorella pills (a similar algae), having recalled using it in my early years of ME on the advice of a Chinese medical practitioner. This time, it took several weeks before I started to question if the chlorella was responsible for my increased joint problems. It seems it might have been. I found the same article @Snowdrop linked above, and several others that included some precautions.

In addition to the positive claims, the article states:

"If you have an autoimmune disease, such as multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, or lupus, you should avoid spirulina. Theoretically, it could stimulate your immune system and make your condition worse."

Just one example of the difficulty in choosing interventions -- when a medication or supplement that helps one condition harms another.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Yes, I often find that recommendations for the efficacy of many things depends on how it helps already healthy people using it either as a prophylactic or to boost an already healthy system. What may work for healthy people is in no way likely to work for us.

That said, I'd be happy to down any of a long list of things if I thought it would give some clear improvement.