• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Spinal Tap Results

jimells

The lumbar puncture wasn't as bad as I was expecting, although I was surprised how hard he had to push to get that needle in. Before he started, I asked the (nurse? nurse practitioner?), "Will it hurt like bloody hell? Please tell me the truth!" It wasn't pleasant, but it didn't hurt much.

Anyway, the results:
OLIGOCLONAL BANDS no bands

CELL COUNT/DIFF
WBC-CSF 0.0 0-5
RBC-CSF 27 0 HIGH

BODY FLUID DIFF
SEGS 4
LYMPH 7
MONONUCLEAR 10

Glucose (CSF) 54 40-80
T. Protein, CSF 37 15-45

Gram Stain Final no bacteria seen
CSF Culture no growth 48 hrs

RPR nonreactive

The tests were ordered by a neurologist; my impression is he is looking for signs of MS. I was hoping there would've been many more tests done, especially for viruses.

I'm guessing the high Red Blood Cell indicates a 'tramatic tap', perhaps? I don't know what SEGS and MONONUCLEAR refer to, or why there are no reference ranges.

According to Lab Tests Online, RPR is a quick test for syphylis that gives false positives for various other problems. Would this be a quick and dirty way to test for the presence of viruses?

L'engle

moogle
Yikes. hope your recovery goes well. I don't know too much about what the results mean. I gather it makes a difference whether the test is ordered/interpreted by someone who specializes in ME/CFS?