• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SPINA THYR a research tool to evaluate thyroid function, deiodinases activity, TH resistance

Iritu1021

Breaking Through The Fog
I don't think my experience has been as extreme as @Iritu1021 's described experience with the POTS symptoms increasing, etc., but it's also not totally perfect, so I'm not sure what to do
You are still in the "honeymoon period" with T3. But it usually doesn't last for very long.

frozenborderline

I like your theory. But I'm trying to keep an open mind toward the current approach I've been using too, so I can thoroughly try it. I know people who've benefited from these moderate doses. They didn't necessarily have CFS but they did have severe fatigue and impairment and this is possibly a heterogeneous syndrome (depending on which aspect of it you look at)
You are still in the "honeymoon period" with T3. But it usually doesn't last for very long.

frozenborderline

Actually, my current theory is mitochondrial calcium dysregulation as the primary cause behind my CFS and POTS.
I haven't been able to keep up with your theories totally, but what i meant is Blanchard's theory, whereas your theory was sort of explaining why blanchard's treatment would work

Actually I was thinking about printing out your blog and taking it to my PCP appointment today, along with the naviaux research

frozenborderline

Also I don't know much about intracellular calcium but I do do better when I drink a decent amount of milk, it helps with stress symptoms.

Have you read Gerald Pollack's book "cells, gels, and the engines of life"? It might be very interesting along the intracellular calcium lines you're looking at. It's kind of a controversial area, though.

Iritu1021

Breaking Through The Fog
Also I don't know much about intracellular calcium but I do do better when I drink a decent amount of milk, it helps with stress symptoms.

Have you read Gerald Pollack's book "cells, gels, and the engines of life"? It might be very interesting along the intracellular calcium lines you're looking at. It's kind of a controversial area, though.
No, I haven't but I will check it out, thanks!

frozenborderline

No, I haven't but I will check it out, thanks!
It is basically all about water, the cell, and the maintenance of sodium/potassium/calcium balance, so I think you might find it particularly relevant

I didn't read all of it, as im very fatigued, but I have the intuition that it might be something you would really get something out of, given the areas you're looking at

frozenborderline

So I tried a small t3 dose during the day for the first time today. and now I'm shivering and trembling which is supposed to be a symptom of hypothyroidism... what gives

frozenborderline

I am continuing to have issues with thyroid but it also has seemed to help so much occasionally that it's confusing. I took a small t3 dose earlier today (I estimate 1 mcg, tiny crumble of cynomel) and my initial response was to shiver an experience adrenergic symptoms but also just shiver and feel cold and tense, which is very odd as that is a classic hypothyroid symptom. Took bp and it was high (159/90 i think, it had been 140/85 before)

10 minutes later bp was down to 140/80 and I had stopped shivering. took it in other arm 10 minutes later and down to 120/80

Tonight I took my one eighth cynoplus and I had this shivering reaction again. But after 10-15 minutes I felt warm and pretty good. My friend says it's possible that it could be because T3, by lowering stress, sometimes reveals a low basal metabolic rate, that was hidden by high stress hormones.
anyway bp after cynoplus was 130/85

Also last night after cynoplus dose I slept well/a normal amount

Iritu1021

Breaking Through The Fog
I'm
I am continuing to have issues with thyroid but it also has seemed to help so much occasionally that it's confusing. I took a small t3 dose earlier today (I estimate 1 mcg, tiny crumble of cynomel) and my initial response was to shiver an experience adrenergic symptoms but also just shiver and feel cold and tense, which is very odd as that is a classic hypothyroid symptom. Took bp and it was high (159/90 i think, it had been 140/85 before)

10 minutes later bp was down to 140/80 and I had stopped shivering. took it in other arm 10 minutes later and down to 120/80

Tonight I took my one eighth cynoplus and I had this shivering reaction again. But after 10-15 minutes I felt warm and pretty good. My friend says it's possible that it could be because T3, by lowering stress, sometimes reveals a low basal metabolic rate, that was hidden by high stress hormones.
anyway bp after cynoplus was 130/85

Also last night after cynoplus dose I slept well/a normal amount
I'm glad you're keeping track of all this. I should start collecting other people T3 experiences on my blog in Erowid style - maybe we can then figure out some early predictors of success vs failure.

The sense I'm getting right now is that your body likes T4 better than T3, as you seem to have a more positive effect with T4/T3.

@drob31 also reported feeling more hypometabolic on T3 and he responded better to pure T4.

frozenborderline

I'm

I'm glad you're keeping track of all this. I should start collecting other people T3 experiences on my blog in Erowid style - maybe we can then figure out some early predictors of success vs failure.

The sense I'm getting right now is that your body likes T4 better than T3, as you seem to have a more positive effect with T4/T3.

@drob31 also reported feeling more hypometabolic on T3 and he responded better to pure T4.
I haven't been taking good enough notes, cause i didn't really make it evident that in both cases it sorta evened out after the initial negative state. It was also such a small t3 dose that besides the initial weirdness I didn't experience much. but it was the first time (since a few months ago) that I took t3 on its own so I will continue to report

frozenborderline

i'm trying to get parents to help me more with taking notes as im crashing rn and can't be on computer all day or thinking too much

Lolinda

J'aime nager dans le froid style Wim Hof.. 🏊‍♀️🙃
Many months ago, I started an experiment: take kelp daily. First, I took kelp corresponting to 250µg iodine for 6 months, then gradually increased kelp, and then 2 months on kelp corresponding to 810µg iodine. Results:
  • Before kelp, these were my labs:
    TSH 1.72 mUI/l (0.20-5.00)
    fT4 11.9 pmol/l (9.0-25.0)
    fT3 2.7 pmol/l (2.6-5.7)
  • On daily kelp corresponding to 810µg iodine, my labs are:
    TSH 1.97 mUI/L (0.35-4.94)
    fT4 11.5 pmol/L (9.0-25.0)
    fT3 2.7 pmol/L (2.6-5.7)
  • ➞ no change
  • During the intermediate weeks, when increasing dosage, I had less cold at 540µg (I am always cold, sleeping with warm water bottles even in summer, it is really pathological....). This effect wore off.
Before doing this experiment, I learned all details about safety of supplementing with iodine.
The reasons why I did this experiment were:

- I have very bad problems in the gut that defied all attempts to eradicate and that almost killed me. Long story... the probable cause is pathogenic biofilms. Indication: The biofilm disruptors nattokinase and lactoferrin are well-known for causing bad Herx. I get that, really bad. More indication: I have a fancy cytokine profile matching a study on body reactions to biofilms. Happily, iodine is effective against biofilms. Typically, desinfectant metals are impossible to develop resistance to. ➞ Iodine could be really cool for getting rid of biofilms. And I tolerate it!!
- In the thymus and in the bone marrow, immune cells are selected before they are released into the body to fight: the ones causing harm to self are signalled to apoptose. Apoptosis needs iodine. All this could make sense for a benefit from elevated iodine intakes for me: my aberrant immune reactions (to lots of food) and my autoimmune-like problems (neuropathy and tendon sheaths) could disappear. If this should work, it will take up to a year because immune cells can live that long. -
Unfortunately, biofilms cannot be measured that exactly that I would be able to tell about changes. Regarding food intolerances, there are lots of changes but none that I would attribute to iodine. During the last 4 months on kelp, I did not have a single case of probs with my tendon sheaths. This could have some chance to be thanks to iodine (see above, it may be autoimmune and iodine may help that).

➞In sum, there is no harm and maybe some chance that I earned benefit. I will continue as I hope that iodine could do sthg against my biofilms in combo with other agents (currently trying low dose lactoferrin with noticeable success)

Last edited:

frozenborderline

the cynomel dose was insanely small (def. less than an eighth of a pill, maybe 1/16th), and i didn't feel much from it this time, so I'm unsure whether to attribute the hr increase to it. sometimes i have tachycardia and POTS for the reason of just sitting up or having a bad day, could be magnesium problems

pattismith

Many months ago, I started an experiment: take kelp daily. First, I took kelp corresponting to 250µg iodine for 6 moths, then gradually increase kelp, and then 2 months on kelp corresponding to 810µg iodine. Results:
  • Before kelp, these were my labs:
    TSH 1.72 mUI/l (0.20-5.00)
    fT4 11.9 pmol/l (9.0-25.0)
    fT3 2.7 pmol/l (2.6-5.7)
  • On daily kelp corresponding to 810µg iodine, my labs are:
    TSH 1.97 mUI/L (0.35-4.94)
    fT4 11.5 pmol/L (9.0-25.0)
    fT3 2.7 pmol/L (2.6-5.7)
  • ➞ no change
  • During the intermediate weeks, when increasing dosage, I had less cold at 540µg (I am always cold, sleeping with warm water bottles even in summer, it is really pathological....). This effect wore off.

Hello Lolinda, seems to me that our labs are very similar!
TSH = 0.97 µUI/ml (0.4 - 4)
fT4 = 1.01 ng/dl (0.7 - 1.48 ) = 13 pmol/l (9.01 - 19.05)
fT3 = 1.9 pg/ml (1.88 - 3.18) = 2.92 pmol/l (2.88 - 4.88)

do you take selenium?
Did you do a trial with some T3?

frozenborderline

afternoon dose of cynomel today seems to be causing tachycardia/pots increase
Now I feel not so great overall, I wonder if a) my dose isn't big enough (it was a very small crumble) or b) it wore off and that's why i don't feel so good, or c) missing some key nutrient that enables absorption