• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

specialty labs-where are they?

Everyone says to be sure to send blood for virus testing to a qualified lab to insure that your results are accurately read but how does one find these labs? My doctor gave me a requisition for Focus Labs in CA. but I can't find a local lab to help me get the blood there. Does anyone know of good labs to go through?

jimells

Hi I Imagine,

When the doctors order blood tests I go to the nearest hospital to have the blood drawn, and then they send it to whatever lab does the particular test; frequently the lab is in Massachusetts, 400 miles away.

I'm just guessing, but wouldn't virus testing work the same way?

maddietod

When my doctor gives me a requisition, it includes instructions on where to get the blood drawn. Locally here, it's Quest Diagnostics or LabCorp. The one time I got a kit without associated blood draw information, I had to have a friend do it as a favor.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
My experience with specialty labs is that they send you a kit with all the tubes and instructions and usually a prepaid mailer.

Many hospital labs will draw your blood for free and either send it for you in the mailer, or, my preference is to take it myself to FedEx to make sure there is no delay.

I have used a lot of specialty labs but your doc is the one responsible for giving the requisition. Some of these labs stock kits with docs who use them frequently.

I am waiting right now for my kit from Health Diagnostics.

Sushi

Focus Labs (Stanford University) doesn't send kits, just directions. CFS/virus tests are one of their specialties evidently. My doctor gave me the requisition to have the tests done there but I can't get the local labs to send it without a kit. Is Health Diagnostics a good lab Sushi? I can go through LabCorp or Quest but have heard they aren't dependable technically with some of these out of the norm tests. Maybe you're right JMells that they would send it to a lab that specializes in it. I don't think I can wait much longer. I really want to know as much as possible what is behind my brain problem. This is my next step before a brain scan. Thanks for the input everyone.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Focus Labs (Stanford University) doesn't send kits, just directions. CFS/virus tests are one of their specialties evidently. My doctor gave me the requisition to have the tests done there but I can't get the local labs to send it without a kit. Is Health Diagnostics a good lab Sushi?

If you take the directions from focus Labs to a large hospital lab, like a university hospital, it is quite possible that they will supply you with the necessary tubes and processing. Then you would have to pack and FedEx your samples yourself. FedEx will tell you how to pack it. Just be sure to mark the samples "non-contagious" or whatever wording FedEx has in their forms.

I once put together my own "kit" for a lab that did not supply them.

Specialty labs are just that and do not do the wide range of testing that LabCorp or Quest does. I doubt (not sure) that Health Diagnositics tests for viruses.

I have had university labs offer to supply tubes etc.--perhaps for a fee or not. This might be your best bet if you want to use Focus Labs. FedEx has special mailers and forms for laboratory samples.

Good luck,
Sushi

Timaca

Focus labs has no association with Stanford. (Although Dr. Montoya at Stanford does send a lot of his CFS patient's blood to Focus Labs for testing). Focus lab is owned by Quest Lab. Perhaps your local Quest lab will draw and send your blood to Focus for you. (Mine does.) Call and ask to speak with the lab director about this prior to your blood draw.

If there is no Quest lab in your area, then your local hospital may be able to help you out. Call and talk with them about it.

Best,
Timaca

Very interesting that Focus is owned by Quest! My local Quest lab won't do it but maybe one of the hospitals in nearby towns will. Thanks.