• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sonya Chowdhury in shock public defence of ME as a biomedical condition ;)

taniaaust1

Not that I disagree with this - but she seems to perhaps be confusing GET and CBT in the latter.

Are there published results showing CBT being 'far likely to make patients worse' - I don't recall seeing them.
(same question for GET).

CBT has harmed some patients as some psychs are out to convince that pushing oneself cant hurt them eg push through pain.. and of cause this then causes some to crash esp new people to ME/CFS who dont know much about the illness. CBT is often about getting rid of "false illness beliefs" and unfortunately these beliefs keep many with this illness safer.

Some with ME/CFS are also told with CBT not to lay down and sleep during day and other things which can negative impact.

I dont think there has been much nonbiased studies done (if any) on the harms caused by CBT as the psych people tend to ignore it when they are told their advice made someone worst, they often do not tend to actually believe the person is worst (and just put it down to being in the persons head, put it down to the person is being negative, thinking negatively etc).