• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"something in the serum"

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

RogerBlack

I'm afraid animal studies do not tell us anything about humans. Here is one of my blogs on the subject:
I disagree.
In certain circumstances, they can be useful.

If, for example, ME/CFS serum caused mice to exhibit PEM-like (or any measurable differential symptom to controls) symptoms, then that would be a very valuable thing to find out. (if normal patient did not).

You can then start filtering the serum in various ways to see what fraction of it causes that symptom.
Is it certain to work at all - absolutely not.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I disagree.
In certain circumstances, they can be useful.

If, for example, ME/CFS serum caused mice to exhibit PEM-like (or any measurable differential symptom to controls) symptoms, then that would be a very valuable thing to find out. (if normal patient did not).

You can then start filtering the serum in various ways to see what fraction of it causes that symptom.
Is it certain to work at all - absolutely not.
I'm afraid I disagree, but we'll have to leave it at that as I'm not capable of arguing, except to say that figures prove that animal experiments are useless. They are especially so in light of the genetic variants that have been produced that are so far from a normal animal, let alone a human, that what can be determined from them is useless.

Quite apart from the immense cruelty involved - millions die without even being tested, as they are simply too different from normal, and the deaths are particularly weird and vile. I don't know if I have detailed this in my posts - I can't actually read them at present. (I've had M.E. for over 20 years.)