• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Some suggestions re antiviral supplements needed

I have been taking coenzym q10 (100mg) for three weeks. After initial energy boost, I feel like I am in PEM now. Is it possible that for me (serious ME) it's better to avoid it? I would like to mention that I can't tolerate L-carnitine and higher than normal doses of magnesium.

What supplements would you suggest against viruses (frequent infections).

Jesse2233

Off the top of my head

- oxymartine
- olive leaf extract
- monolaurin
- neem
- DHQ
- Selenium
- licorice
- astralagus
- garlic
- liposomal vitamin c

@Hip has a great post on this somewhere

Last edited:

Hip

What supplements would you suggest against viruses (frequent infections).

What do you mean by "viruses (frequent infections)".

Generally, you need to know what viruses you have as active infections before selecting antivirals. Each antiviral targets specific viruses, so it's no good taking an antiviral if it will not help for the viruses you have.

I don't think about particular one virus. I am quite weak, thus I have frequent infection - uti, urti, with mild 3-4 days diarrhea - viral in nature.

Hip

I am quite weak, thus I have frequent infection - uti, urti, with mild 3-4 days diarrhea - viral in nature.

UTIs are nearly always caused by bacteria. Are you sure your UTI is viral?

For many years I had a recurrent UTI myself. Antibiotics would successfully prevent recurrence, but when I stopped taking them, the UTI would continue to recur, usually once every few weeks, and I'd be much more tired during the UTI flare-up, which would last for several days. My UTI was I believe more in the kidneys that the bladder.

The treatment that finally got rid of my UTI was horsetail herb (a source of silica), an old classical Greek and Roman treatment for UTIs. Horsetail is thought to increase the glomerular filtration rate of the kidneys.

I think the uti was viral. Even if it was bacterial it came right after a viral infection as a result of weakened immunity.

Shoshana

Northern USA
I would try grapeseed extract capsules.

I also take d-mannose powder, dissolved in water, which helps me with bladder issues.

drob31

On the flip side, how about modulating the immune system to fight them? Say you research your TH1/TH2/TH17 cytokines, and see what jumps out.

I have used d-manose in the past for uti. I have also used an Elixir that I make with Elderberry, Echinacea, and ginger. I am trying something new the past few weeks. I am taking my Elixir 3x a day as an immune booster to help out with the EBV. I have been weak and getting every virus my kids bring home for a few yrs. I am also taking olive leaf extract 1-2x a day, turmeric golden tea 1x day, ginger tea 3x week, lemon balm tea 3x week along with diet revamp and lots of vitamins. I have felt a lot better than I did 2 weeks ago, I cannot wait to see how I feel in 2 months.

Hip

The strength of antiviral compounds, whether pharmaceutical or herb-derived, is measured by the selectivity index (also called the therapeutic index), which is abbreviated to SI.

If you want to find an antiviral that has a reasonable chance of helping, you need to make sure it has a high SI value. You can often find the SI value detailed in the studies that assess the efficacy of antiviral compounds.

If a compound is a potent antiviral (high SI value), it will usually say this in the study abstract. You'd want to find a potent antiviral.

Last edited:

Tammy

UTI's are bacterial. Some anti-bacterials are goldenseal (not to be taken long term without breaks), oregano caps, zinc sulfate, cats claw, lemon balm , monolaurin........thyme, rosemary, sage.........olive leaf. You could have both a virus and bacteria...........but the uti is definitely bacteria. Grains are terrible for UTI's......so you might try eliminating until it is gone. No dairy either.

Anti-virals: Cats Claw, Licorice root, lemon balm, zinc sulfate, lot of Vit. C, monolaurin, L-lysine.............to name a few. What is nice is that certain herbs have both anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties.