• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Some doctors have deep contempt for patients

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
No I do not. I have concentrated my energy, or more specifically a lack thereof, on finding a cure for myself. I have lots of information on things that have helped me, but not a cure.

I am currently investigating the use of nitroglycerin and the nitrous oxide connection/cycle, and am awaiting its arrival
in the mail. I am not going to wait for these quacks to find a cure for CFS. If I did that I would likely be very old or dead.
I want my life back, and no fool who simply has an MD license is going to stop me and neither will anyone else.

We all know that CFS is real. SPECT scans have shown it to be real, but research into a cure, or even
acknowledging that its a real disease and that we are not lazy nor depressed, is still a long way off in the institutionalized medical systems. T

I promise that if I find a cure, all of you will know about it. That is the best that I can do. I just happened to find
out about how MS patients were treated, before they were accepted as ill people, in the course of my studies,
lauluce.
thank you for your reply, I also think as you do about finding an answer oneself rather than waiting for some doctor who doesn´t know anything useful or cares at all about or suffering to find it. I´ll read about MS history, that might help me emotionally. Good luck! I´ll check about nitrous oxide!

On-going with me this type of treatment I get from every Dr Iv ever been to see. I have promised myself never, ever to mention fibro ever again to a Dr as only last month the lady Dr I saw got so angry I was sure she was going to attack me. She gritted her teeth and bit her lip with anger. I'm not joking or making this up she really scared me. She kept tapping her head with her finger saying: "all in the head".

caledonia

Hi! I always wanted to know good examples of diseases who followed the same path of negligence and disbelief than now ME is facing but where then accpted as real and organic in nature. Do you know where can I found information about such cases? thank you!

MS was called "hysterical paralysis" and patients were often sent to insane asylums. In the 1950's one woman started the MS Society and raised money for research. They were extremely lucky that on their very first study, using a new technology called an MRI, they found the biomarker for the disease - the multiple sclerosis spots on the brain.

Autism, as late as the 1960's, was thought to be caused by "refrigerator mothers".

Homosexuality was also classified as a mental illness. Of course, it's not a disease at all, just a natural human variation.

I'm sure there are many other examples. You can probably just read through older versions of the DMV (mental illness diagnostic manual) or even the current version, and pick out which things they're calling mental illnesses which really aren't.

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
MS was called "hysterical paralysis" and patients were often sent to insane asylums. In the 1950's one woman started the MS Society and raised money for research. They were extremely lucky that on their very first study, using a new technology called an MRI, they found the biomarker for the disease - the multiple sclerosis spots on the brain.

Autism, as late as the 1960's, was thought to be caused by "refrigerator mothers".

Homosexuality was also classified as a mental illness. Of course, it's not a disease at all, just a natural human variation.

I'm sure there are many other examples. You can probably just read through older versions of the DMV (mental illness diagnostic manual) or even the current version, and pick out which things they're calling mental illnesses which really aren't.
Thank you! the information you provided was very helpful, I´ll research those topics so I can bring them up when discussing ME with close minded people

SilverbladeTE

The simple hard fact that there is NO true treatment for this illness, an illness which has been known about specifically for over 60 years, is OUTRAGEOUS!
And proof of the sheer, blind, wilfully inhumane, stupid, arrogant perversity of the *******ing Medical Profession!

I can accept that many illnesses have no cure and alas, some have no treatment, that is life, unfortunately :/ (*)
but one as common as this illness and known for so long damn well should have had SOME effective treatment regime by now. Not merely dealing poorly with the symptoms but an actual treatment of the illness itself.

that there is not such a treatment, speaks volumes of the "Medical Profession", which in reality, is a bloody religion!
While individual physicians may be true to their calling and oaths, the over-arcing group, its zeitgeist, is really about having sick and dying people by the BALLS, and so having incredible power and wealth for the doctors and drug makers.

(*) actually , more money is spent on medical research to cure male baldness and impotence than anything else
this shows who REALLY runs the "health industry" and why! (The "Oligarchs")
and if that money was spent on other things in proportion to reasonable need, AND if we stopped wasting trillions of dollars on the insane war machine, war, death, greed and chaos, we'd have had most illnesses cured by now .

My favourite curse and judgement on the wicked is: May they learn the true meaning of compassion.
Hell of a lot worse, far more just and beneficial to them and everyone else, than the infantile desire to merely "punish"
Alas, such is beyond our mortal capabilities