• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Some concerns about homeopathy

A.B.

You guys got it all wrong with your homeopathy jokes. If the potency of a homeopathic remedy increases with dilution, then infinite potency can be achieved by not adding the ingredient in the first place.

PS: 0 x INFINITY is of course still 0. I think at least.

HowToEscape?

Why not test it by giving an entire city homeopathic water?

1. Strap the king James Bible to a wrench.
2. Bang on the main water pipe into town.

All ailments now cured!

The water will at some point in Earth's history have been in contact with every imaginable element and compound, and remember them. Thus it contains every possible homeopathic remedy, including those not yet discovered.

Therefore it will cure every possible disease, including those not yet discovered, in the population of people who have not sinned by harming their body with bad thoughts, Big Pharma, or lite beer. Anyone remaining sick is thus a sinner and must be punished.

What, you object? A witch! Vexatious!

Wonko

To be fair, the evidence for homeopathy is so diluted by all the evidence against it that it must work, the more evidence against it, the more dilute, the more powerful homeopathy becomes.

It can't not be true, because the more it isn't, the more it is.

Or something like that, my brain doesn't seem to be up to twisty things ATM.

snowathlete

... your mother? :cool:

tumblr_nvnybaSwVI1uo39ffo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Just to be clear: I don't feel any ill-will to other patients who are using homeopathy. I don't feel smug about the fact that they're doing something that I think it ridiculous. I've done lots of things that I now realise were ridiculous, and I'm grateful to the people who pointed out when I was making mistakes. I think that for a healthy intellectual community we all need to be trying to pick apart one anothers' claims and beliefs in the hope of improving ourselves and getting close to the truth. Best wishes to everyone.
Thanks for starting this thread @Esther12 . 10 pages later, we have all indeed improved ourselves and are closer to the truth. I hope the results meet with your approval. Very best wishes to your good self.

Mrs Sowester

The first two pseudoscientific theories as to the cause of ME I ever ran into were about meridians and chakras. That was probably in the late 80s and early 90s.
That's one of my favourites. Apparently I'd be all better by now if I'd let a friend of a friend perform reiki over me to realign my chakras thus restoring the flow of my chi energy.

Edited to add, so it is my fault.

Esther12

Thanks for starting this thread @Esther12 . 10 pages later, we have all indeed improved ourselves and are closer to the truth. I hope the results meet with your approval. Very best wishes to your good self.

Thanks Sam. It's made me feel like a hit & run poster. I got up in the morning and there was already five pages of discussions to catch up on! There is a bit of a conflict between my desire to engage in relentless debate, and my desire to do as little reading as possible.