• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Some antibiotics can damage gut flora for a year

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
from Physician's First Watch:
Certain Antibiotics Could Affect Gut Microbiome for 1 Year
By Kelly Young
Edited by
- Susan Sadoughi, MD, and
- Andre Sofair, MD, MPH

Gut microbial diversity may be diminished for up to a year following oral antibiotic use, suggests a small, industry-conducted study published in mBio.

Sixty-six healthy participants in the U.K. and Sweden were randomized to receive placebo or an antibiotic (clindamycin, amoxicillin, ciprofloxacin, or minocycline). They provided saliva and fecal samples before and after receiving antibiotics.

Over the long term, the salivary microbiome was largely undisturbed by antibiotic administration. Meanwhile, microbiome diversity in fecal samples was reduced for up to 4 months in patients receiving clindamycin and up to 12 months in those receiving ciprofloxacin. Specifically, bacteria that produce the short-chain fatty acid butyrate -- which is linked to lower inflammation, carcinogenesis, and oxidative stress in the gut -- were significantly reduced.

In addition, genetic testing found more genes associated with antibiotic resistance in the fecal samples.

The authors conclude: "Clearly, even a single antibiotic treatment in healthy individuals contributes to the risk of resistance development and leads to long-lasting detrimental shifts in the gut microbiome."

Link(s):
mBio article (Free) http://response.jwatch.org/t?ctl=309D:5FF9B588B7CB016C1CD2B5A02BD92B7B&
Background: NEJM Journal Watch Infectious Diseases coverage of gut E. coli resistance patterns and antibiotics (Your NEJM Journal Watch registration required) http://response.jwatch.org/t?ctl=309E:5FF9B588B7CB016C1CD2B5A02BD92B7B&

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
All this shows how important it is to use probiotics and antifungals while on antibiotics .

At the moment the bacteria in my sinuses are alot more disabling than killing bacteria in my gut.

Have to weigh up the pros and cons as well as take preventative measures etc