• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SOMATISATION, DEPRESSION AND ME

alex3619

Some may wonder why I am researching Freud given that its the modern biopsychosocial view of CFS and ME that I am aiming at. Here is a quote from Richard Websters book "Why Freud Was Wrong", from an academic called Frank Sulloway:

" The expedient denial and refashioning of history has been an indispensible part of the psychoanalytic process. Perhaps more remarkable still is the degree to which the whole process of historical censorship, distortion, embellishment, and propaganda has been effected with the co-operation of psychoanalysts who would instantly proclaim such phenomena as 'neurotic' if they spotted them in anyone else." p. 238

The modern psychobabble movement are doing little Freud didn't do first. Don't like the way the theory fits the evidence? Ignore criticism and reformulate things so that some other untestable line of argument explains it!

Bye, Alex