• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Solve webinar today, Thurs May 19: Dr Jarred Younger, "CFS & ME: Can we find answers in the brain?"

BurnA

I cannot access this - some problem with Flash player. Can you summarise what was interesting?

Haha I don't think I could even begin to summarise to sufficient detail.

He said it's a hypothesis that peripheral immune cells are crossing the blood brain barrier and causing neuroinflammation. A bit like MS only the cells that do cross, don't attack the neurons - they arent necessarily autoimmune. A lesser form of MS is how he describes it.

But probably better to watch if you can . Maybe you just need to update your flash player ? Normally if that's the case you'll get a prompt or message telling you how to.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"

He said it's a hypothesis that peripheral immune cells are crossing the blood brain barrier and causing neuroinflammation. A bit like MS only the cells that do cross, don't attack the neurons - they arent necessarily autoimmune. A lesser form of MS is how he describes it.

But probably better to watch if you can . Maybe you just need to update your flash player ? Normally if that's the case you'll get a prompt or message telling you how to.

I downloaded a new version of Flash player but it made no difference. Maybe my Mac is just too old. It isn't quite as old as my car (22 years) but going that way. Can't be doing with this newfangled stuff.

I would be surprised if ME was due to immune cell traffic because immune cells like to form clusters. If they don't they probably wander off. And clusters should cause focal signs, as they do in MS. There do not seem to be focal signs in ME. But I would be interested to see what he has to say. I do have a new computer but I have not got around to using it yet. Ho hum!

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I could be mistaken but I think there is another thread where scarecrow is transcribing this?

BurnA

I downloaded a new version of Flash player but it made no difference. Maybe my Mac is just too old. It isn't quite as old as my car (22 years) but going that way. Can't be doing with this newfangled stuff.

I would be surprised if ME was due to immune cell traffic because immune cells like to form clusters. If they don't they probably wander off. And clusters should cause focal signs, as they do in MS. There do not seem to be focal signs in ME. But I would be interested to see what he has to say. I do have a new computer but I have not got around to using it yet. Ho hum!

Ha if your computer is that old I can't really advise any more other than it could be your internet browser needs updating.
Probably better to unwrap the new computer at this stage, or maybe go wild and get yourself an iPad, apparently they are all the rage

He talks about positron emission tomography and incubating immune cells with a radio tracer to detect where they are going. So by the sounds of it it should be easy to tell if his theory holds water or not.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Screen shot:
upload_2016-5-21_12-28-50.png

Sushi

Screen shot--overall brain temperature. Two on the left are healthy controls, the next two to the right have CFS, and the last one on the right has both CFS and RA. Note: all had normal body temperature.
upload_2016-5-21_12-41-39.png

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I was thinking about that slide today. It made me wonder if other diseases such as RA would have a higher brain temperature, not just CFS - which would make this a nonspecific test (though at least it would show your brain was on fire :fire:).

I can't remember what he said about that - I think he was saying that a lot of chronic diseases may have low-level brain inflammation but I'm not sure.

Sushi

Hypothesis: peripheral immune cells are infiltrating the brain in a similar way to MS, though with a number of differences. Screen shot of hypothetical process:
upload_2016-5-21_12-49-8.png

Screen shot--overall brain temperature. Two on the left are healthy controls, the next two to the right have CFS, and the last one on the right has both CFS and RA. Note: all had normal body temperature.

Yes, I think my body temp was 98.1 when I was scanned. It was also FREEZING cold in the scanner so it probably dropped in the hour I was in there!

Sushi

Hypothesis: peripheral immune cells are infiltrating the brain.
The way they are planning to test this: Extract a patient's leukocytes through a blood draw. Mix them with a tracer (for 24 hours?). Re-introduce them into the patient and do a PET scan to see where they go. They hope to be up and running with this later this summer. Those who can clarify this, please comment!

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
I could be mistaken but I think there is another thread where scarecrow is transcribing this?
I'm a bit tardy but I'm on it now!

I'll do this bit first, starting at 35:03.

Bob

This is one of the interesting studies that Dr Younger discussed (@ 18mins 10secs)...

Neuroinflammation in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis: An ¹¹C-(R)-PK11195 PET Study.
Nakatomi Y, Mizuno K, Ishii A, Wada Y, Tanaka M, Tazawa S, Onoe K, Fukuda S, Kawabe J, Takahashi K, Kataoka Y,Shiomi S, Yamaguti K, Inaba M7 Kuratsune H, Watanabe Y.
J Nucl Med. 2014;55:945-50.
http://jnm.snmjournals.org/content/55/6/945.long

There's a forum thread on it here:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...tion-in-patients-with-cfs-me-pet-study.29219/

It's a study that Prof Hugh Perry is also interested in...
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ith-cfs-me-pet-study.29219/page-4#post-538658

F2.medium.gif

Last edited:

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Jarred Younger said:
[35.03 to 41:46]

So, the other one... this is the brand new stuff that hasn't been discussed before and I'm really excited about this one because this is something that if it works, it will profoundly change how we think about ME/CFS and it will change how we treat it and it will open up a lot of interesting directions.

So, here's the basic idea.

We have a peripheral immune system and we have a central immune system. So in the brain the immune cells are called microglia and they're responsible for the whole immune defense of the brain and in our body we have T cells, B cells, natural killer cells - there's a lot of different cells in the body. Now those are supposed to be kept separate. So your peripheral immune cells - your T cells and B cells - they're not supposed to be in your brain and your microglia in your brain are not supposed to be in your body.

Now the blood brain barrier, which is a kind of a sheath that goes around all the vessels in your brain, it keeps those two things separate: it keeps the peripheral immune cells out of the brain because those peripheral immune cells are not trained to operate in the very sensitive environment of the brain. That's potentially dangerous if they're in there for too long, if they infiltrate the brain. So the blood brain barrier does a really good job of keeping those out.

There's a couple of different layers: there's these little tight endothelial cell junctions and then the astrocytes, which is some cells in the brain - they form these little lipid feet that form a different barrier. So there's a couple of barriers you have to get through to penetrate into the brain and in a healthy individual these things should always be kept separate.

Now what we're hypothesising, what's possibly happening in ME/CFS, is something has happened to this blood brain barrier.Either it's been damaged or for some reason the astrocytes are kind of opening the gate and what is happening - again this is just, we haven't shown this, this is just a hypothesis - is that these gates have opened and it's letting the peripheral immune cells squeeze through into the brain and then they start causing inflammation, which is making you feel fatigued and making you feel sick.

Now this picture right here is from multiple sclerosis and we think this also happens with multiple sclerosis but in MS, the cells that get through are trained to attack your own neurons and so that's a very devastating illness. In ME/CFS, we don't think autoimmune cells are getting through, we think other cells are getting through but they're enough to cause inflammation. They're not directly attacking your neurons but it's creating inflammation that's making you feel sick. So kind of a lesser form of multiple sclerosis would be one way to look at it. Not as damaging but still makes you feel really bad. So if that were to happen all these cells in the periphery are going to punch through and start to cause inflammation and there's many cell types - you got your B cells, your NK cells, your T cells, and these could be causing an inflammatory response in the brain.

So I think this is why you probably saw recently that rituximab which is a B cell depleter, why it may work in ME/CFS because if you can give rituximab and deplete the B cells in your body, there won't be as many B cells to cross into the brain to cause problems. That's just my guess as to how it works but it all fits together with the hypothesis.

So anyway, how do we do a brain scan to see if this is happening? Because if we can find these peripheral immune cells in the brains of people with ME/CFS, that's going to be a breakthrough because they're not supposed to be there. So that would be something where you would say "oh look, here's the immune cells, this is probably what's causing the problem, they're not supposed to be there".

So to do that, we have to go back to positon emission tomography. We cannot do this with MRI right now. We may be able to in the future, we're looking at that because it's cheaper but right now we're going to use PET.

So what we do here is we take a person with ME/CFS, or a healthy control, and we do a blood draw and we take that blood and separate out the leukocytes (and the leukocytes are basically all those immune cells I was talking about). Then you take those immune cells and you incubate them with the radiotracer and so those immune cells will 'eat' the radiotracer and so now they've got the tracer inside them and then we can measure where those cells go. So once they've been with that tracer for about an hour, they eat it up, they cells are tagged, now we inject the person's immune cells back into their body, except now - they're regular immune cells, they still work, they just have a tracer inside them now - so now we can follow them.

Now what we'd do is we'll inject these cells back and then we'll bring the person back 24 hours later to scan their brain to see if any of those cells actually punch through into the brain and then we'll bring them back 3 days later to see what it looks like.

What we expect to see is that in the healthy brain no signal will be detected at all. There'll be no evidence of infiltration of the brain but we think in the ME/CFS individuals, we'll pick up that signal in the brain.

Now, again, what's really cool about the scan is that there's no background signal so if the cells don't get to the brain there will be nothing there, it'll just be total black. Other scans, there's a lot of noise: this, there's no chance of noise. So if there's no cells there, you're just going to get a black picture very easy to interpret. If there are cells there, you'll get a signal, it'll be kind of glowing on the screen and so you can say 'yes' versus 'no', it's as simple as that: "Yes, the immune cells made it to the brain" versus "No, they didn't".

So if we find consistently that the ME/CFS individuals have these cells in the brain but the healthy controls don't, that's going to be a major advance because then we know we can target central inflammation or we need to target those immune cells in the periphery before they have a chance to cross the blood brain barrier. Or maybe we need to try to give agents to repair the blood brain barrier. It opens up a lot of targets for treatments. So, we hope that works, we don't know, we have not even run the first participant. This is very, very complex stuff. It'll probably take us about 5 - 6 months before we're truly running participants. I'm working with Suzanne Lappy who's an excellent radiochemist here at UAB. So we're going to get there but it will probably be later this year before we're actually running this full steam but, you know, it's the kind of thing again where if the hypothesis is supported, it's going to be very clear to interpret and it's going to really change how we approach CFS.

edited to add; not quite sure of the correct version of the name of the radiochemist Younger referred to. Susanne or Suzanne: Lappy or Lapin?

Last edited:

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
@Jonathan Edwards, I've just transcribed the section that @BurnA had asked you about where Younger was describing the hypothesis that there are peripheral immune cells in the brain, akin to MS but non autoimmune.

Because of the time to response and because he's not just talking about B cells, I'm not convinced about his explanation that this could be why rituximab works in some pwME. If anything, it could explain some of the non responders. But ignoring that, could it be possible that a subset of people with ME have a blood brain barrier that is not intact and letting leukocytes into the brain?

Last edited: