• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SOD

LaurieL

I have heard this before but can't remember.....;) I have done some re-reading but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information about the SOD's.

I am curious as I have the +/+ mutation in SOD2 A16V, rs4880, amongst others. Some sources say this can be an up-regulation, others say it is a down-regulation. Anybody out there have any info or experience with this one?

After doing the genetic genie detox profile, and also looking at the interferon and CCL mutations, I would say I have a bit of a problem with free radicals and detox.....and metalloproteins.

Lauriel

i have SOD wild type,i dont understand very well what it means,maybe someone can shed some light?

The detoxigenomic test says :

- - SOD2 A16V
Health Implications: Superoxide dismutase (SOD) is the primary antioxidant enzyme within the mitochondria of
cells (where most of our energy is made). SOD2 converts reactive oxygen species into less reactive hydrogen
peroxide. The wild-type genotype (-/-) is associated with higher SOD2 activity and a greater sensitivity to antioxidant
status compared to the other genotypes. The combination of higher SOD2 activity and low antioxidant intake and/or
excessive oxidative stress (e.g., smoking) may result in an accumulation of hydrogen peroxide and increased risk of
cancers of the breast or prostate. This genotype has also been associated with a higher risk of motor neuron
disease. Risk of cancer may be reduced in individuals taking anti-oxidants.

Minimizing Risk: Because the (-/-) genotype is particularly sensitive to antioxidant status, liberal consumption of
dietary antioxidants in colorful vegetables and fruits is recommended. Broad-spectrum anti-oxidant supplements
may also be helpful, including agents that help to raise glutathione levels (e.g., vitamin C, N-acetylcysteine, milk
thistle) and support glutathione peroxidase (selenium). Consult your health care provider to find the supplement
regimen that best fits your overall health anti-oxidant needs.

thanks

LaurieL

I am +/+ for rs4880. I have not been able to compare other mutations in this gene set. So -/- is the upregulation and +/+ is the downregulation?

I hope Pegasus, someone here will have some insight.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Where did you get that gene mapped? I would like to find other gene panels that are worth getting. I got the holisticheal (Yasko) panel and have 18 genetic defects, none of which govern my allergies nor drug sensitivities, so I'd like to map more when cost-effective panels come available. Thanks

this test is called Detoxigenomics,and tests a separate system that isn´t in the yasko test.
It tests the genetic profile of the body to detox environmental toxins,etc as well as your on "waste" byproducts,so to say.

you can find more in the lab site,Genova Diagnostics,www.gdx.net