• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Slow Transit Constipation...... no pain just no movement

overtheedge

Unfortunately I don't remember what type of enzymes I was taking when it mattered, that is, when it fixed my chronic constipation, I think it may have been from the Designs For Health company which my aunt who was my doctor at the time was into. I use Source Naturals now since there is so much bang for the buck but I don't know if it would have done the job or not to have fixed my old chronic constipation or if enzymes even were the thing that fixed it or if it was the Betaine HCL alone. I see no difference anymore between taking enzymes and not taking enzymes except that my chymotrypsin level on a Genova Diagnostics CDSA stool test was deficient without enzymes and in range with them, chymotrypsin being a measure of enzymes; so I take them to be safe, I've only had 2 CDSA's though so the correlation in my case isnt certain but on the test chymotrypin is claimed to be a good measure of whether or not you're supplementing enough enzymes, that is, if you have enzyme troubles at all, though there are multiple analytes on the test that have to do with different facets of enzyme function.

Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure I used several kinds of enzymes back in the day when it counted, that is, after the first month or so of using enzymes when that first bottle ran out I think I switched to another brand and continued to get the same effects so it might not matter much which you use, I certainly never had chronic constipation back then even though over that first year of taking enzymes I probably switched brands four or more times.

I've never had any side effects from enzymes, even when taking ten enzymes with a single meal. I only took so many with meals for a few days to see if it would help me with my present case of CFS. When I used enzymes in the past to get over chronic constipation and the CFS I had at the time I was only taking one or maybe two capsules of enzymes with meals, whatever the bottle said to take.

All the best

@overtheedge, tell me, please, which enzymes do you take? I'm looking for a cure for my lazy gastrointestinal tract.
Enzymedica is a good reliable brand of digestive enzymes - they kind of specialize in enzymes, as their name implies. Over the last few months I've taken quite alot of digestive enzymes, and I can't say for sure if they helped me at all. Definitely nothing dramatic (for digestive distress, and slow transit), or I would have noticed.
I try to boost my body's own enzymatic output by including alot of acid in my food and drink. I need to do this as I believe part of my problem is low stomach acid.