• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Slow Transit Constipation...... no pain just no movement

douglasmich

Hello.

I have had slow transit constipaiton since a kid. I mean i had 2 BM a week with no pain. I thought it was normal to be honest.

After some antibiotics its now 0 BM unles i do many things.

I am gargling all day, magnesium before bed and i usually end up doing an enema.

I have no pain at all, not much stomach bloating just no movement. FIber makes it worse.

WHat could this be?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Try soluble fiber. I have IBS-c and insoluble fiber stops things in me too. I try to use both since we need insoluble fiber, I use acacia fiber, magnesium citrate blends and also enemas.

I'm on abx now and I found adding Thorne sf-722 to the mix with Probiotics seems to help.

It's miserable not going

Some Random suggestions:

High dose vitamin C. It works in the same way as magnesium.

Raw camel milk sometimes helps, sometimes doesn't. Contains natural probiotics.

I guess you have tried Senna leaves - starting with 1 tsp in boiling water and then slowly increasing the dose.

I sometimes take 18 prunes soaked in water a day.

Have you been given a proper diagnosis yet?: e.g IBS-C, Gastroparesis, Colon Insufficiency etc.?

douglasmich

magnesium and vit c just soften. still won't move.

i was cured after a course of herbal antibiotics but it returned when i quit them..

douglasmich

Can SIBO cause slow transit without any other symptoms?

When i hear of sibo its usually IBS. pain and bloating etc.

i have no pain or gas. just 0 motility

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
There use to be stuff years ago for motility. I may think of the name later, but they were taken off the market due to nasty side effects. One was a liquid.

As a stop gap maybe the herbal abx? I took 1000 mgs magnesium last night and barely moved anything. I so want to go on my own but usually have to resort to an enema.

bertiedog

Having suffered with alternate constipation and occasional loose bowels that taking homemade Kefir has sorted the constipation, in fact I am having to cut back a bit.

I also did 10 days of Rimfaximin which greatly helped my SIBO symptoms (could feels bad bugs partying under my ribs).

Pam

Kati

Patient in training
Maybe it's just your own normal. Not everyone is made the same. Why fix it if it doesn't bother you?

douglasmich

it bothers me because i can't eat veg due to fiber.

i was having BMs 2x a day the first time i took methtlfolate then i crashed now it doesn't work.

i suspect my methylation is screwed up which is hindering my metabolic rate

kangaSue

Firefly_

I had the same problem for about 6 months, no motility, and nothing traditional worked. Dr Kaufman put me on Iberogast and things started moving again. Started out taking it every day but now I only need twice a month or so, otherwise things start getting sluggish again.

CantThink

@douglasmich

Did you try the Iberogast? It sounds like colonic inertia.

Since my teens I have suffered with this type of issue. Frequently I wouldn't go for 3 weeks (I kid you not), and then I'd become impacted in my back passage so that even if I got things softened and moving higher up they couldn't get out until I got the impaction removed. Believe it or not I dealt with this alone and when I'd mention it to my doctors they would just say to increase fibre or eat prunes. IME that doesn't make a difference - it will bulk stool but not provide the movement. I take a cocktail of things to keep it moving and bulked enough.. It's like a constant monitoring job, but far preferable to being cinstipated/impacted.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Yes @CantThink is right its got to be a constant monitoring job. I take senna if I don't go one day without a BM.
recently after becoming more or less regular couldn't understand why everything had stopped, then a friend on FB mentioned about coffee and BMs. Ding....I stopped drinking coffee a few weeks ago and went onto tea, its only since then I've become constipated again, so started having one coffee in a morning and guess what. movement back on!!!
okay that's just me but also try Epsom Salts - half a teaspoon in a glass of water, not pleasant but effective.

ive ordered triphala. If that doesn't work il try iberogast

Did you start the triphala? It works for me and has for quite a while.
Other replies suggested magnesium. However, there are over 10 varieties of mag, and each has its own specializing action one the system. Research the different forms to determine what would be best for you.