• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Slow COMT and can't use curcumin

tootsieroll

I have the slow COMT gene mutation and I have read that one should not take Curcumin or Turmeric as it can further slow down the breakdown of dopamine. I seriously do not need more anxiety/intrusive thoughts on my plate but I currently have major inflammation throughout my body from a serious cold/flu and healing from Antidepressant/benzo withdrawal. What can I use?? I was taking quercetin for the phlegm and read that even that can be an issue with this gene. Now I'm even afraid to touch ginger in case it will give me adverse effects. Any suggestions? Thank you.

tootsieroll

COMT snp means nothing unless someone has one which is actually pathogenic in clin var or another database.

So does this mean that there are other snp's that can mitigate the effects of me taking curcumin or quercetin? I wonder how many people out there with Low COMT take either and experience no ill effects.