• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleeping under a weighted blanket reduced my morning muscle pain

Mr. Cat

Hey PR,

I just wanted to let you know I bought and tried a weighted blanket. They are supposed to be good for insomnia and reducing anxiety, as the pressure is supposed to increase serotonin. I didn't previously have problems with insomnia, but it does seem to put me in a deeper state of relaxation. Mornings used to be the worst for me in terms of body pain and brain fogginess, and I've got to say, muscle pain has greatly decreased upon waking after sleeping under the blanket, and I have also been experiencing better mood and clarity in the mornings. Of course, as we all know, different strokes for different ME/CFS folks, so your results may vary.

Wishful

In winter, my bedroom usually drops from 10C to around 4C, so I sleep with several heavy quilts piled on me. Sadly, I never noticed a difference in my symptoms when I changed seasonal bedding.

perrier

Hey PR,

I just wanted to let you know I bought and tried a weighted blanket. They are supposed to be good for insomnia and reducing anxiety, as the pressure is supposed to increase serotonin. I didn't previously have problems with insomnia, but it does seem to put me in a deeper state of relaxation. Mornings used to be the worst for me in terms of body pain and brain fogginess, and I've got to say, muscle pain has greatly decreased upon waking after sleeping under the blanket, and I have also been experiencing better mood and clarity in the mornings. Of course, as we all know, different strokes for different ME/CFS folks, so your results may vary.
I have been reading about these blankets for some time. Does anyone else have good results here?

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I think @PatJ uses one, too. I think one would be too hot for me, though, since I live in TX. But I might try one next winter.

I've been using one for a couple of months. I feel more relaxed when lying under it, even during the day sometimes (since I'm bedbound much of the time). It was expensive but I think it was worth it.

It is fairly warm, and is comparable to the light down-filled duvet I used to use.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I just heard about weighted blankets for the first time yesterday. My sister told me about them, she ordered one after seeing an infomercial, but it has not come yet, so will wait to see how she likes it (plus I'll get to see it myself before ordering one). She doesn't have ME/CFS but has struggled with insomnia for years (as have I).

When she told me about it, my first thought was autism - Temple Grandin - and how she built a device to hug her body as she couldn't tolerate human touch and how it calmed her down. There's a great movie (if you haven't seen it already) with Claire Danes playing Temple Grandin, well done for a biopic sort of film.

Temple Grandin also wrote several books, I've read at least two - "Thinking in Pictures" and "Animals in Translation" - They're fascinating and very readable, highly recommend them.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
When she told me about it, my first thought was autism
That's how I know about weighted blankets! I'm a special education teacher, and we have been using weighted products for students with autism and other disabilities for many years. Until recently, the only place you could find these things was in specialty catalogues for people with disabilities or on Etsy (lots of parents of children with disabilities make them in their homes). But, like many things that help people with disabilities, weighted blankets end up helping a much larger population than originally anticipated!

jesse's mom

I have not bought mine yet, but the ones on the Etsy website had the most color choices and sizes.
Waiting for the third thursday of the month...

Moof

I've used weighted items quite a lot, as I have an ASD, but I've never bought any ready-made products (cheapskate alert!).

The pressure needs to be on major joints/proprioceptive points such as the hips. At the theatre where I worked, I used to sit with a big stage weight on my lap, and at night I have a couple of sandbags that I can pull across my hips.

One of the most important things is that the weight is significant enough. It should be a proportion of your body weight; I can't remember exactly what's recommended, but it should be easy to find out from autism websites.

jesse's mom

I just had another sleepless night and ordered one from etsy.com they have many color options and do not need a duvet cover; machine washable, line dry.
The option they suggested is 8-10% of ideal body weight plus one. I am glad that for adults ideal weight is 2% lower and not current body weight, but ideal.
I got one that is 14 lbs and imagine any heavier would be a real workout to arrange.
Well, we shall see!