The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Sleeping! (calcium/magnesium ratio - hair analysis) (and no drugs)

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by Mary, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    Magnesium oxide is really good for inducing diarrhea.

Glycinate, malate, etc. are not so likely to cause it.

2. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK
    Taking increased amounts of magnesium can lower potassium levels which can raise blood pressure which maybe what is happening in your case.
    This is the wagon wheel in the article showing all the interactions with other minerals including potassium.(K)

http://www.traceelements.com/docs/Magnesium Wheels.pdf.

Try increasing your coconut water slowly, or whatever you take for increasing K, till you get a happy balance between Mg and K.

Sancar and Gondwanaland like this.
  3. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    Good suggestion, but I keep a very close eye on my potassium. I've needed to take a little extra but not much. I'm very familiar with symptoms of low potassium - muscle spasm or cramps in my feet, lower legs and if it's low enough, severe fatigue. I drink low-sodium V8 plus take potassium gluconate - 800 - 1000 mg a day.

I believe though the magnesium did lower my phosphorous a bit (refeeding syndrome) and have supplemented extra in very small amounts.

I'm switching to a different form of magnesium (citrate/oxide blend) to see if that helps my BP.

4. PatJ

PatJ Forum Support Assistant

Canada
    I take magnesium at bedtime (with other supplements) to help with getting to sleep but I always wake up at 12-1am and sleep much more lightly (sometimes not at all). Thanks to your post I've started taking another dose of magnesium when I wake up in the middle of the night. I now sleep more deeply after midnight.

Sancar, Kathevans and liverock like this.
  5. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    Sancar and sb4 like this.
  6. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    Well, after a lot of experimentation I am now primarily taking magnesium oxide at night for sleep. I know it's supposed to be the least bioavailable and may cause diarrhea, but (1) mag glycinate raised my blood pressure; (2) mag citrate worsened my insomnia; (3) mag malate just did not work for me at night for sleep, and I need the magnesium at night. I'm tolerating the magnesium oxide pretty well - no diarrhea and it seems to be as effective for sleep as magnesium glycinate was. I was getting a little desperate trying to find a form of magnesium I could tolerate at night so am glad this is working for me.

7. whitebeach

whitebeach

This is VERY interesting did the analysis lab tell you how to correct the calcium mag imbalance?

Cath likes this.
  8. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    They told me to stop my calcium and vitamin D supplements, at least temporarily and suggested a retest in 3 months. So I stopped my calcium for a few months, and stopped vitamin D only briefly as I believe I need it a lot. I increased my magnesium on my own. I'm currently taking 400 mg. magnesium glycinate (yes, back on glycinate) before bed and 400 mg. more middle of the night. It's still helping some, though not as much as initially.

I have added calcium back in because my nails were getting very weak, but half as much as I was taking before, and I take the calcium with breakfast. It's surprising - my nails got much stronger very quickly once I re-started taking calcium.

I've also started taking magnolia extract from Bulk Supplements - it's much more potent and works much better than other brands I've tried - I'm taking 1/8 of a teaspoon dissolved in water before bed and 1/8 teaspoon more middle of the night. When I tried 1/4 teaspoon before bed and middle of the night, it worked but left me drugged the entire next day.

sb4 likes this.
  9. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    HI @Mary,

I've taken a variety of calcium supplements over the years, but recently had an interesting experience. I read about using egg shells to get high quality calcium along with other nutrients. I started taking the equivalent of 1 egg shell per day (blended up thoroughly in a vitamix), and within 2-3 days, I noticed my somewhat chronic tendency for my muscles to spasm almost completely stopped. I only take some about 2-3 a week now, but the anti-spasmodic benefits continue.​

sb4 and Mary like this.
  10. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    Very interesting @Wayne! :nerd: I am taking a food-based calcium supplement from Rainbow Light - I don't know what the food base is though ....

11. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    sb4 and Mary like this.

See more popular forum discussions.