• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleep-wake rhythm disturbances and perceived sleep in adolescent chronic fatigue syndrome

Kalliope

Sleep-wake rhythm disturbances and perceived sleep in adolescent chronic fatigue syndrome
Study by among others professor Wyller. He is a controversial researcher as he doesn't use strict criteria on his patients and as he has a biopsycosocial approach to ME. He has a trial on music therapy as treatment for ME and applied for funds for a trial on Lightning Process (sic) as another treatment.

Still, this study could be of interest nevertheless.
The study included 120 adolescent CFS-patients and 39 healthy individuals.

- The activity measures showed that the CFS patients stayed significantly longer in bed, had a significantly delayed mid-sleep time and a more varied sleep-wake rhythm during weekdays compared with healthy individuals. On the KSQ, the CFS patients reported significantly more insomnia symptoms, sleepiness, awakening problems and a longer sleep onset latency than healthy individuals. These results might indicate that disrupted sleep-wake phase could contribute to adolescent CFS; however, further investigations are warranted.

anni66

mum to ME daughter
Study by among others professor Wyller. He is a controversial researcher as he doesn't use strict criteria on his patients and as he has a biopsycosocial approach to ME. He has a trial on music therapy as treatment for ME and applied for funds for a trial on Lightning Process (sic) as another treatment.

Still, this study could be of interest nevertheless.
The study included 120 adolescent CFS-patients and 39 healthy individuals.

- The activity measures showed that the CFS patients stayed significantly longer in bed, had a significantly delayed mid-sleep time and a more varied sleep-wake rhythm during weekdays compared with healthy individuals. On the KSQ, the CFS patients reported significantly more insomnia symptoms, sleepiness, awakening problems and a longer sleep onset latency than healthy individuals. These results might indicate that disrupted sleep-wake phase could contribute to adolescent CFS; however, further investigations are warranted.
Is this not evidence of dysfunctional HPA axis ?

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits

My impression is that disrupted sleep patterns are the result of ME/CFS, not the cause of ME/CFS.

Mithriel

The usual back to front rubbish because it is easier to describe sleep with a questionnaire than actually do any science into the causes of ME. These people are second rate minds doing second rate research.