• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleep question

Jessie 107

Hello,
I haven't had a diagnosis yet ,but my doctor thinks I have Me/cfs.
I agree I have a lot of the symptoms, but the one I don't have is a problem sleeping,I sleep really well. I know that a lot of people with this illness don't.
My question is am I unusual to be able to sleep well ? How many of you have trouble with your sleep? I would be interested to find out.
Regards
Jessie

Hi Jessie
My teenage son has ME/CFS and he says he sleeps well. He sleeps for 12 hours and would sleep more if he wasn't interrupted by tutors. However we know it isn't good sleep- his fitbit shows very light restless sleep and higher heart rate through the night until around 5.00am when he seems to sleep better and HR reduces. He sleeps from around 11:00 pm to 11:00am unless really forced to get up earlier.
I think the big question is whether you feel at all refreshed when you wake up or are just as tired or more tired?

Mohawk1995

Agree with UKmum. Our teenage son slept very soundly for 12-14 hours, but had restless sleep and did not awaken refreshed. When listening to someone discuss sleep and sleep hygiene they noted as a general rule you should sleep 7-8 hours with minimal interruptions and minimal restlessness and awaken refreshed. If you are not, read more of the articles on here and talk to you physician about sleep.

Dechi

What the others said : it's not how long or how well you think you sleep, but it's how restorative your sleep is. If you sleep well and feel refreshed when you wake up, then you might want to look seriously at other diagnosis.