• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleep quality and the treatment of intestinal microbiota imbalance in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Kati

Patient in training
Another Australian study:

Sleep quality and the treatment of intestinal microbiota imbalance in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A pilot study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26779319

Abstract

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) is a multisystem illness, which may be associated with imbalances in gut microbiota.

This study builds on recent evidence that sleep may be influenced by gut microbiota, by assessing whether changes to microbiota in a clinical population known to have both poor sleep and high rates of colonization with gram-positive faecal Streptococcus, can improve sleep.

Twenty-one CFS participants completed a 22- day open label trial. Faecal microbiota analysis was performed at baseline and at the end of the trial.

Participants were administered erythromycin 400 mg b.d. for 6 days. Actigraphy and questionnaires were used to monitor sleep, symptoms and mood.

Changes in patients who showed a clinically significant change in faecal Streptococcus after treatment (responders; defined as post-therapy distribution<6%) were compared to participants who did not respond to treatment.

In the seven responders, there was a significant increase in actigraphic total sleep time (p=0.028) from baseline to follow up, compared with non-responders. Improved vigour scores were associated with a lower Streptococcus count (ρ=-0.90, p=0.037).

For both the responders and the whole group, poorer mood was associated with higher Lactobacillus.

Short term antibiotic treatment appears to be insufficient to effect sustainable changes in the gut ecosystem in most CFS participants.

Some improvement in objective sleep parameters and mood were found in participants with reduced levels of gram-positive gut microbiota after antibiotic treatment, which is encouraging.

Further study of possible links between gut microorganisms and sleep and mood disturbances is warranted.

barbc56

Thanks @Kati. I have always found the subject of sleep fascinating. I've had sleep issues my entire life and I've wondered if that can make you more susceptible to developing conditions like ours. Possibly, mecfs makes sleep issues worse which is what has happened to me. Most likely a chicken/egg issue.

I started an online free course about sleep through Coursica but haven't been able to complete it. Hopfully I will.

Barb

alicec

An interesting concept and well worth studying, but I have the same problems as discussed here and later in the thread. I don't think the methodology used tell us much about the gut microbiome.

But while on the sleep question, here is a recent uBiome blog