The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Sleep apnea

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by Thinktank, May 25, 2018.

1. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe
    Lately i've been suffering from what's possibly sleep apnea. I get 7 to 8 hours of sleep but wake up feeling poisoned, and like i've been breathing through a straw all night long. It now takes a few hours of deep breathing in the morning to be able to go get out of bed, i'm completely exhausted by this breathing problem on top of ME.

Does anyone else here have sleep apnea? What are you doing or taking to relieve the sleep apnea?

2. hangininthere

hangininthere

USA
    Several years ago a high dose of Magnesium at bedtime every night eased what I suspect was my sleep apnea. When asleep, I would gasp and it would wake me up.

I took 1,000 mg. Magnesium for a year for something else and the apnea cleared right up right away. Plus I woke up in the morning alert instead of lying there in a stupor for hours.

The improvement has lasted all these years, even after I quit taking the magnesium after a year. No gasping and waking during sleep, and wake up in morning alert every time. (My 'morning' is late in day, night-owl here.)

Patti

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  3. *GG*

*GG* senior member

Concord, NH
    I've never woken from gasping, I use a machine for my sleep apnea. Are you saying you don't use a machine? Have you had a sleep study done?

4. hangininthere

hangininthere

USA
    No sleep study. I only suspect because of the waking up with a gasp like my brother does who had a sleep study and can't stand to wear his machine and wakes up with a gasp at different times during sleep like I did.

When I tried antidepressants, the waking up with a gasp throughout the night or 'apnea' was worse. I suspect certain medications could cause or worsen apnea, too. That's something to consider.

Patti

Last edited: May 26, 2018

See more popular forum discussions.