• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleep and weight linked: Our loss, our gain 3/13/15 WaPO

*GG*

Feeling sleepy this morning and constantly reaching for more coffee and a doughnut to wash it down? Those potato chips also seem to be calling our name louder than we remember. We just want that salt. And why not? We could use that extra boost of energy. And the gym workout is out of the question because we have a headache. Tonight’s menu will be takeout because we do not feel like cooking.

It’s no surprise that just one night of sleep deprivation can result in an extra 600-1,000 extra calories consumed in just one day. In fact, losing just a few hours of sleep a few nights in a row caused people to pack on an average of about two pounds. Sleep has an effect on our appetite, physical activity, metabolism, and cues that tell us we are full. And a lack of it is enemy No. 1
to our waistlines.

Dr. Nina’s What You Need To Know: About the Link Between Sleep Deprivation and Weight Gain

Some Statistics

Cont'd

This story is probably not news for most of us?

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...and-weight-linked-our-loss-our/#ixzz3UUjniSvV
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/mar/13/nina-radcliff-sleep-and-weight-linked-our-loss-our/

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
60 minutes did a piece on sleep deprivation a few years ago using college students.

One thing they determined was
That sleep deprivation messes up the leptin in our brains making us think we are hungry.

I know I eat constantly when I'm sleep deprived.