• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Slate book review: Is Psychiatry Dishonest? And if so, is it a noble lie?

A.B.

This is the point of my book, and it will take me years to flesh them all out. How to achieve these goals might well be beyong me though .. this is big. What I want to start is a debate on how to do these things, and I do not mean amongst ME patients. Psychiatrists and psychologists, other doctors and scientists, who recognize the problems need to get involved ... this is already happening, but it needs much more. All these should be considered preliminary ideas only, though number 3 was scheduled to be a blog this month until I had to take a 3 month break.

If you can come up with a plausible system where financial rewards are tied to *curing* patients then you have essentially the answer to most of these problems.

alex3619

If you can come up with a plausible system where financial rewards are tied to *curing* patients then you have essentially the answer to most of these problems.

As an eventual solution that might be workable, but as an interim solution, with medical science still trying to figure out what is going on, I think its unworkable. In any case thats one of the points of evidence based medicine - to promote what is acceptable and shown to work, and criticize what doesn't work. However EBM has major problems that are not being fixed currently.