• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Six homozygous mutations

I would like to take something to help with my depressed mood, but I’m at a loss as to how to interpret my SNP mutation results. Can someone help?

Homozygous:
COMT V158M
COMT H62H
VDR Taq
MAO A R297R
MTHFR C677T
MTRR A66G

Heterozygous:
MTRR A664A
CBS C699T

alicec

Some of those SNPs have little or no effect.

The ones that do something are

COMT v158M which slows the enzyme. Supplementation with its cofactor magnesium may be helpful in stimulating the enzyme.

The notion that people with COMT don't tolerate methyl groups is a myth. Some people are sensitive but it has nothing to do with COMT. You may or may not be sensitive - you would have to put it to the test.

MTHFR C677T. This would slow the enzyme. Supplementation with its co-factor vit B2 and with its product methylfolate could be helpful.

MTRR A66G. This would slow the enzyme. Supplementation with methylB12 may be helpful.

Start low and increase slowly with the folate and B12.