• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Six ‘biases’ against patients and carers in evidence-based medicine"

Dolphin

The lead author, Trish Greenhalgh, is quite well-known in the evidence-based medicine community at least in the UK

From 2014: http://www.bmj.com/content/348/bmj.g2451
Biography
Trish Greenhalgh leads a double life. On the one hand she is an ardent supporter of evidence based medicine. On the other hand, she has stridently criticised the relentless pursuit and application of research evidence at the expense of considering the patient as an individual. She is professor of primary health care and the dean for research impact at Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, and a GP in north London. A keen cyclist, she recently apologised to her Twitter followers for a period of (relative) silence after falling off and breaking both arms. She is on the mend.

I recall reading her complain about how the system treated her after her accident which may have informed this criticism of evidence-based medicine.

Sean

A lot of this reminds me of what happened when they allowed pain patients to control their dose of strong opioids via infusion pumps. Patients ended up using much less of the drugs, and hence had much less side effects and problems, than when they had to rely on medical staff to administer it.

Sean

Patients with depression, for example, who took selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, were ignored for years after they raised concerns about side effects such as‘electric head feeling’ that did not fit the existing‘evidence-based’ model of the drug’s effects or the formal categories of adverse events used in standardised post-marketing surveillance [36]

Not to mention the 'minor' common side-effect of impotence for males. Including with the older types of anti-depressants, like tri-cyclics.

Very not happy about that. :mad: