International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day Is On May 12, 2018
Thomas Hennessy, Jr., selected May 12th to be our international awareness day back in 1992. He knew that May 12th had also been the birthday of Florence Nightingale. She was the English army nurse who helped to found the Red Cross as well as the first school of nursing in the world.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Sinusitus and CFS/Me

Discussion in 'Immunological' started by Lucy1996, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Lucy1996

Lucy1996

I have chronic sinusitus (sphenoid) as well as my CFS which causes brain fog (albeit differently to CFS).

This might sound a stupid/gross question but ... why does my sinus type brain fog disappear when my sinuses are dripping down my throat ? When they stop dripping (like when I take anything with an antihistamine which dries them up) the fog is back and I feel blurry and unable to concentrate.

My sinuses have been especially bad since the flu over Christmas.

Thanks for help you may have :) .

ebethc likes this.
  2. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

I have chronic spenoid sinusitis as well but I wouldn’t think they cause me brain fog. I consider my brain fog a result my brain hypoperfusion. When my sinusitis is bad, I get migraines that can last days/weeks.

ebethc and Lucy1996 like this.
  3. Lucy1996

Lucy1996

What is hypoperfusion? Sorry to be a little dim :)

I’m sure my sinuses affect my concentration and my eyes as everything is blurry when they’re blocked .. but when they’re dripping I can concentrate a bit better. It’s definitley not as severe as CFS fog though for me x

4. TenuousGrip

TenuousGrip Senior Member

I've had horrible sinuses for decades. It all persists after five lifetime sinus surgeries. I'll take a stab at this one ;-)

When you're stopped up everything is backed up. When everything is backed up you get all of the inflammation throughout your sinuses. Those inflammatory chemicals can cause all kinds of misery, including -- in my experience -- brain fog.

On the other hand, when things are running, it's quite likely that the log jam broke -- even if only a little bit.

Or at least that's my story ... and I'm sticking with it ;-)

The only thing I still do to try to combat the sinusitis is use a whole-house humidifier and one in the master bedroom (being very careful to properly maintain each) and a NeilMed bottle to irrigate.

Lucy1996 likes this.
  5. Lucy1996

Lucy1996

Thank you that really makes sense to me!! :) I was offered surgery but he said it wouldn’t necessarily help and I thought it wasn’t worth the cost/stress without any obvious benefit.

The only thing I’ve been doing lately for it is inhaling menthol crystals. I’m not sure where to start with irrigation... I’m kind of scared to try but I really want to do something as sinuses is definitely affecting my quality of life. Is it easy to do the irrigation?

6. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

Hypoperfusion means too little bloodflow. To the brain in the case of ME. This was shown by a SPECT scan with contrast.

Lucy1996 likes this.
  7. TenuousGrip

TenuousGrip Senior Member

Yep. Ridiculously easy.

It's just a wee bit 'gross' for some people.

But like so many things ... once you've done it a few times ... it'll be second nature.

There's a lot of research showing that irrigation is really effective. Lots of ENTs strongly recommend it these days.

Lucy1996 likes this.
  8. Lucy1996

Lucy1996

Thank you... I think I’m going to be brave haha and give it a try! :)

ljimbo423 likes this.
  9. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    That is my experience too. I've also had chronic sinus infections most of my life.
    I opted for an irrigation machine and it does help. Here is the one I am using. I also do other things to relieve the pressure in the sinuses. The thing that works best for me is using the skin to release toxins by taking a steam bath or an Epsom salts bath.

Lucy1996 likes this.
  10. Lucy1996

Lucy1996

Thank you for your reply :)

It’s really good to hear other people have the same issue and it makes sense. Although sad you have the suffering of sinus problems too! That’s really interesting re the machine... I will look into it. I’m going to buy some Epsom salts definitely. :)

11. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    Lucy1996 and CFS_for_19_years like this.
  12. Lucy1996

Lucy1996

13. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Learner1 likes this.
  14. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

what about the anti fungal nasal protocol of dr. brewer?

15. perrier

perrier Senior Member

what is the best for Marcons infection?

16. Sarahloudobby

Sarahloudobby

Hi everyone. Just thought I would share my experience as I was in bed a lot yesterday with another sinus head. I’ve had terrible on and off sinus pain for years now, when it’s been particularly bad I’ve had a steroid spray from the GP. I get headaches at specific points on the side of my head, pain across the top of my nose, strange popping sensations in the top of my nostrils and dizziness. I’m also even more worn out when my sinus is bad. I tried a sinus rinse yesterday and that seems to have helped short term, as well as sudafed sinus and decongestant tablets but I hate to constantly be taking pills :(

See more popular forum discussions.