• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Simon Wessely in DM - is he being a hypocrite?

satoshikasumi

This is perfectly consistent with Wessley's views. He wants to reduce the use of healthcare resources. He is afraid that if DSM-V allows more of the population to qualify for a diagnostic label validating their mental illness, this will lead to a whole new group of people claiming an illness identity and state benefits.

Wessley plays an instrumental role in the socialized medical system in the UK. The philosophy is to stop the rise in health care costs. They have promised "free" health care to all citizens but it is not really free, and there is not enough money to give every patient every treatment that they need. They have long ago accepted the 'need' to ration care.

The government does this by deciding that some sick people are more deserving of health care resources than others.
Indeed, they have had more success than the US in controlling rising health costs.

Merry

This is perfectly consistent with Wessley's views. He wants to reduce the use of healthcare resources.

Sounds reasonable. Thanks, satoshikasumi. So has it been career-enhancing for Simon W. to commit himself to the idea of reducing the use of healthcare resources? Yeah, I guess that's what you mean: "plays an instrumental role in the socialized medical system." [Italics mine.]