• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Silence isn't golden when it comes to research

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
Silence isn't golden when it comes to vaccines

21 August 2013
New Science - Magazine issue 2930.

http://www.newscientist.com/article...ce-isnt-golden-when-it-comes-to-vaccines.html

I think some interesting parallels can be drawn between this article on vaccines and the situation for ME/CFS and CBT/GET. Certainly not the theme that [treatment is safe and effective but only misguided militant extremists disagree], but the stonewalling and apparently lack of openness which only worsens mistrust and does not help people who are confused about the best course of action. New Scientist were themselves stonewalled.

So the issue is not only one of information, but also of trust – and withholding the first is a fast track to losing the second. As an influential 2011 article in The Lancet (vol 378, p 526) made clear, public confidence in vaccination can only be secured through "engagement with and listening to stakeholders, being transparent about decision making, and being honest and open about uncertainty and risks".