• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Significant improvement on MitoQ

cigana

@cigana @Hip

On a positive note however, now that CoQ10H2 (ubiquinol), the reduced form of CoQ10, is available in a stable form from a number of (TGA and FDA-reg) companies, the possibility that ubiquinol may help in some cases of CFS can be tested without having to take risks with MitoQ. While Ubiquinol is more expensive, it may prove more effective as suggested in a number studies outlined in J Inherit Metab Dis (2012) 35:679–687, "Update on clinical aspects and treatment of selected vitamin-responsive disorders II (riboflavin and CoQ10) Ubiquinone" by Rita Horvath.

cheers

Rodger
Thanks for your advice Rodger, I take it seriously.

For the record I have tried many other forms and brands of CoQ10 to try to reproduce the same effect as MitoQ, and they produce zero effect (doses up to 1.5g).
Maybe that is evidence that MitoQ is helpful because it increases oxidative stress, contrary to what we've been assuming.

NotThisGuy

so MitoQ uses ubichinone and not ubiquinole?
which brand is considered as a stable form of ubiquinole? The only one I found contains soy that I can't take.

Learner1

i've been taking 20mg MitoQ daily for 4 months (based on their recommendation giben my circumstances) and just got intracellular nutrient test results back showing that I am deficient in CoQ10.

Previously, I'd been on 200mg Thorne QBest or Darrow ubiquinol for 3 years, and my nutrient tests during that time showed me at the top of range for CoQ10.

I never found any bounce from MitoQ, but switched because it toured getting into mitochondria better. I've tried PQQ with no effect either.

Not sure MitoQ is worth the money or the hype.

Hip

Those like @cigana who have benefited from the mitochondrial antioxidant MitoQ might like to investigate the experimental supplement C60, which is potent mitochondrial antioxidant. C60 enabled one moderate ME/CFS patient to return to work: see here.

cigana

Those like @cigana who have benefited from the mitochondrial antioxidant MitoQ might like to investigate the experimental supplement C60, which is potent mitochondrial antioxidant. C60 enabled one moderate ME/CFS patient to return to work: see here.
Thanks for the advice Hip. - I already tried the carbon60oliveoil variety (due to the possible similarities with MitoQ), and although I thought I noticed some mild positive effect, it wasn't profound enough to continue buying it.

Learner1

Russia developed a mitochondrial antioxidant called SkQ1, which is similar to MitoQ.

SkQ1 products are available to buy online here: https://rupharma.com/skq1-antioxidants/

They may be cheaper than MitoQ.

SkQ1 is also called Visomitin.

SkQ is a whole class of mitochondrial antioxidants, developed by Prof Vladimir Skulachev and his team in Russia. They are detailed in this Wikipedia article.
Thanks for posting. Never heard of it, looks interesting. A cheaper version of MitoQ would be welcome. However, the 4 products on thst page were eye drops and skin care products. We need something we can ingest...

Hip

Thanks for posting. Never heard of it, looks interesting. A cheaper version of MitoQ would be welcome. However, the 4 products on thst page were eye drops and skin care products. We need something we can ingest...

Ah yes, it seems they are all eye drops and skin care items. I did not notice that.

Reading a bit more about SkQ1: it appears to be manufactured by a pharmaceutical company in Luxembourg called Mitotech.

Mitotech plan to introduce an SkQ1 drug they call Plastomitin for the treatment of diseases, including multiple sclerosis. Mitotech have already completed pre-clinical trials of Plastomitin as an MS treatment.

But for the moment, the only form of SkQ1 that Mitotech sell is the eye drop and skin care versions, called Visomitin and MitoVitan respectively.

Looks like these SkQ1 products can also be bought at nootropicspot.com.

Last edited:

Learner1

I can hardly wait for their US patent. Mito Q is expensive enough...

I finally got access to what used to be another cheap supplement that now goes for US$3.000 as they got it approved for a specific genetic "orphan disease," that I don't have.

Fortunately my dose was smaller so a month's supply is only US$150, though got my insurance to support it. Otherwise I'm going to go broke paying for these substances as they become drugs.

cigana

Russia developed a mitochondrial antioxidant called SkQ1, which is similar to MitoQ.

SkQ1 products are available to buy online here: https://rupharma.com/skq1-antioxidants/

They may be cheaper than MitoQ.

SkQ1 is also called Visomitin.

SkQ is a whole class of mitochondrial antioxidants, developed by Prof Vladimir Skulachev and his team in Russia. They are detailed in this Wikipedia article.
Nice find, Hip! I'll plan to try this.
I would note that the MitoQ skin cream worked as well (if not better than) the tablet form.

cigana

Do you think the MitoQ is systemically absorbed when applied as a skin cream?
I would presume so but I don't have any direct evidence from my personal experience, all I remember is that it gave me a boost in the same way the tablet form did.

godlovesatrier

Not sure if I ever posted about my experience with ubiquinol but I found that was amazing for my energy levels. My muscles had so much energy, I would tkae 50 or 100mg 3 days a week and felt terrific on it. It allowed me to go for an interview in a big city centre and remain alert and with it in the weeks leading up to it and after. I would say I got a whole level gain out of it at the time. Was able to drive twice as often or three times as much as I could without it. I didn't have this benefit when taking q10, even large doses like 800mg or 1000mg in an attempt to reach the doses that 100mg ubiqnol mimics. 100mg ubiquinol is the equivalent of about 1000mg Q10 for ref.

At any rate as others have discussed the side effects for me became apparent later and were horrid. Terrible headaches where I felt like my head was splitting and really awful jaw pain/jaw tension pain. It felt like my jaw was extremely tight all the time. I experimented over 2 months but in the end had to stop due to this.

So it just makes me think if you did well on ubiquinol (which is relatively cheap) that might indicate you would do well taking MitoQ. Then again it might not. Anyway I am going to give this a go seeing as my alpha-1 peptide experiment has been a failure.

godlovesatrier

First 5mg dose did make me sleepy for about 3 hours. But I now recognise this as my body being in a state where it can't utilise things properly, doesn't matter what it is. I've noticed the same sleepy effects with several things in a row now.

I suspect if I keep taking mitoq this will go away eventually. First dose was good at any rate and even though I am very tired today and have been since 2pm (took the mitoq about 3pm). It's allowed me to cook dinner and leave the house briefly to get supplies. So pretty good! I'll take 2 tablets in the am tomorrow and see how I get on.

godlovesatrier

This didn't work for me sadly. After day 2 I just had muscle cramp and mild headaches, but also my energy levels weren't that great either. I was starting to experience anxiety, was constantly restless and was having difficulty coming down in order to allow my body to rest. I think my experience with Ubiquinol was actually very similar, I was just stronger when I took it and could therefore take it for longer than MitoQ. But I think in my case it's something I could take if I ever need a boost, l-glutamine is another thing I can only take in very short bouts as it causes crashing long term.

Glad I gave it a go though. Another supplement bites the dust!