• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Should People Conform to Our Disability?

Carrigon

The original question was not about judging my friend. It was about if it's appropriate to impose your health issues on strangers. That was the question of the day. Is it appropriate to go to a restaurant or to go to work and expect the entire world to accommodate whatever health issue is bugging you at the moment? Is it appropriate to expect everyone in the everyday world to not wear fragrance or to speak in hushed tones, or even to wear darker clothing because the colors bother your sensory input? Because when you are dealing with issues of MCS and sensory input, it can really start to cross lines and annoy strangers you don't even know and cause alot of animosity.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I just think manners go a long way. If I want something at a place of business I ask nicely. We all just answered the question.

Ocean

Yeah I answered to the spirit of your question Carrigon, or at least I think so. I think anyone has a right to ask for accommodations but that one has to accept the consequences (except in cases where by law accommodation is required), whether that be that people are annoyed by the request, or go along with our request, or politely deny the request. I think it's a completely personal choice how one chooses to deal with this type of thing, whether healthy or ill. I don't think there is a one size fits all answer, but I don't take any issue with the general idea of asking for accommodations, I think it's perfectly fine to do. I didn't mean you were judging your friend only that I don't want to judge her particular situation and just replied to the general idea of your question.