• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Should B6 be enteric coated? Which vitamins should be enteric coated?

topaz

Hi

Is it preferable that B6 (p5p form) be enteric coated or does it not matter?

I have read in several sources that it is recommended that B6 be enteric coated to ensure that its form is kept and that it not break down in the stomach to allow the B6 to be absorbed more effectively into the duodenum. Googling b6 +enteric brings up a number of links that support the enteric coating (but this is selective searching).

This is not a universal recommendation however the enteric coating of specific vitamins seldom is but I have seen this recommendation in enough respected places to pay attention and query this.

Views??

It also leads me to ask the worthwhile question: Which vitamins are best taken in enteric form?

I know SAMe is best enteric coated.

5-HTP I took in regular form and recently purchased Source Naturals enteric coated version as it was 'Dr Murray recommended' (Dr Murray of 5-HTP fame) but didnt like this version of 5htp as much as the Thorne capsule form. Also, Dr Murray was the only source of the recommendation for enteric coating of 5 htp that Id come across (caveat - I didnt specifically research this either as at the time the Dr Murray recommendation was sufficient to induce me to try).

topaz

Yes, but is enteric coated preferred? ie will that increase the amount of p5p available for absorption?

the link posted above indicates that enteric is preferred and I am seeking opinions on this.