• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Shortage of white blood cells

jason30

Hi all,

A regular blood test by the doc showed a shortage of white blood cells.
This confirms my symptoms. The doc wants to wait for a month to see if they are still low, because I just got a virus infection.

I wonder, does anybody else had / have this and can we increase the number of white blood cells for ourselves?

jason30

Yes indeed a good starting point, it does give some good tips to increase white blood cells.
On the other hand, the cause must not be forgotten. Another reason to discuss with the doctor. :)

Learner1

Were your WBC low before your recent virus? If so, some detective work would be wise, like other immune system tests (immunoglobulins with subclasses, T and B cell panels), herpes family and other infections, folate and B12 deficiencies (RBC folate and methylmalonic acid, not serum values), and if needed, cancer.

If they were normal before, being patient might just let them bounce back. My values vary quite a bit and my body adjusts.

jason30

Thanks for thinking along with the tips @Learner1 , It's unknow if the WBC were low before the virus. This is the first time it's checked.
But if I go for the symptoms (sick feeling and runny nose when I am among the poeple within a few minutes, and gone within a few minutes) then my guess it's longer. Within a few weeks the WBC get's checked again.

Next week I have a new appointment with the doc and I hope he cooperates to check the active forms of folic acid and vitamin b12, because my serum levels are good and then the doc says it's all fine and no reason to check further. Always that discussion with him! :)

Do you by change have some recommendations of labs which do immune tests?

Learner1

That sounds like a good plan.

For the immune tests, mine were standard tests done by one of the 2 largest nationwide labs in the US, LabCorp. I'd think they would be pretty easy to find at labs in your country.